Since Windows 8.1 update, SecureBoot watermark, laptop is shutting down instead of sleeping, internet connection is slow, help! RRS feed

• Question

• Since updating to Windows 8.1 a couple of days ago, I've had nothing but problems.

My laptop shuts down when the lid is closed despite all settings dictating otherwise, 'SecureBoot isn't configured correctly Build 9600' is watermarked on the desktop, I have tried to change BIOS settings to enable SecureBoot but the option to do so is greyed out, and initially connecting to the internet is markedly slower as is startup.

The laptop is a HP ENVY m6-1205sa Notebook PC.

Is there any way to get rid of the update and go back to Windows 8? If anyone could help it'd be much appreciated, I really wish I'd never installed the update at all.

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 1:05 PM

Answers

• The watermark can't be removed:

http://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/The-Defrag-Show/Defrag-Elevated-App-Turning-off-Tabbed-Browsing-Win-81-RTM#time=05m11s

The only way to go back is restoring the laptop to the factory settings. HP should have this explained in the manual.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

• Marked as answer by amoamo Wednesday, October 23, 2013 5:15 PM
    Wednesday, October 23, 2013 5:50 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Since updating to Windows 8.1 a couple of days ago, I've had nothing but problems.

My laptop shuts down when the lid is closed despite all settings dictating otherwise, 'SecureBoot isn't configured correctly Build 9600' is watermarked on the desktop, I have tried to change BIOS settings to enable SecureBoot but the option to do so is greyed out, and initially connecting to the internet is markedly slower as is startup.

The laptop is a HP ENVY m6-1205sa Notebook PC.

Is there any way to get rid of the update and go back to Windows 8? If anyone could help it'd be much appreciated, I really wish I'd never installed the update at all.

I have the same problem on à Toshiba c855-1v3.
    Tuesday, October 22, 2013 4:18 PM
  • The watermark can't be removed:

http://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/The-Defrag-Show/Defrag-Elevated-App-Turning-off-Tabbed-Browsing-Win-81-RTM#time=05m11s

The only way to go back is restoring the laptop to the factory settings. HP should have this explained in the manual.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

• Marked as answer by amoamo Wednesday, October 23, 2013 5:15 PM
    Wednesday, October 23, 2013 5:50 AM
    Answerer
  • Exactly the same problem!
    Monday, December 16, 2013 4:46 AM