none
PWA 2010 - Can access all pages but home page RRS feed

• Question

• I have a server with a working PWA 2010 site with SP1 but without any CU.

Suddenly it started to ask to login in a dialogue box already filled with the current user name and password (I tried to reenter the password too). After that it appears the message "The current webpage is trying to open a site in your Trusted sites list. Do you want to allow this?

Current site: res://ieframe.dll

Trusted site: http://project.site"

and the resulting message is "Internet Explorer cannot display this page. Diagnose connection problems." It I click the diagnose buttom, appears this messages: "Windows can´t automatically detect this network settings".

The weirdest thing is I can browse without any problem in all other pages (typing the URL for the first non home page) such as Project Center, Resource Center, Tasks, Server Settings, etc., but going back to home page it asks again the to log on and returns the network settings message. There is also another instance of PWA in the server that works flawlessly, including the home page. 

Some additional information:

1. Architecture: one app server + 3 WFE server and one SQL 2008 R2 active/passive cluster, all running on Windows Server 2008 R2 with SP1. This is oversized for actual users.
    2. Internet Explorer is version 8 or 9 with the server included in the trusted site list and logon with the current user data.
    3. Anonymous and basic access are disabled for this site in IIS 7.
    4. I rerun the SharePoint wizard and rebuilt this PWA site in the  Manage Service Application at the SharePoint Central Administration but the issue persisted.

Any ideas of what is going on?

Thank you.

Best regards, Ricardo Segawa - Segawas Projetos / Microsoft Partner

• Edited by R.Segawa Friday, May 10, 2013 8:55 AM Text revision
    Friday, May 10, 2013 8:49 AM

Answers

• I discovered the cause of the issue.

Some network security guy blocked a range of high numbered ports in the firewall without warning us.

It is curious that I started to loose access to the pages of PWA slowly,one at a time until I lost total access in a matter of a week. But I could access the home page and some compatible pages using Google Chrome or Safari indicating that the server was alive. Project Professional could log to the server too. SharePoint Central Administration was not affected by the issue.

I solved the issue using Microsoft Network Monitor 3.4 utility. I found out that the port used by IE access PWA was blocked. In Google Chrome the access is more inteligent. It found out that the port was blocked too, but it scans for an unblocked port so it succeed to connect to PWA.

I asked the firewall administrator to open the port and now it is working right.

If someone has the same issue this is a case to study.

• Edited by R.Segawa Tuesday, June 11, 2013 2:51 PM
    • Marked as answer by R.Segawa Tuesday, June 11, 2013 2:52 PM
    Tuesday, June 11, 2013 2:47 PM

All replies

• Is this issue reproducible from different computer or user?

Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, May 10, 2013 10:08 PM
  • Hi Hrishi,

It is reproducible for all users from all levels (administrators, Project managers, team members, executives, etc.) in diferente machines and even in VPN.

Another search on the subject I discovered that using Google Chrome or Firefox I can access the home page, so PWA is running!

So the issue seens to be in the Global Security Politics of AD that affects IE but not other browsers. I noticed that in the Security guide of the Internet Options of IE appears the message "Some settigns are managed by your system administrator.".How is it done? Block only the home page of one instance at port 80, while the other one at the same port (different header name) does not suffer from this problem?

Of course it is my guess about the AD's GPO interference.

I am still looking for some suggestion on this subject.

Thank you.

• Edited by R.Segawa Monday, May 13, 2013 1:45 AM Text review
    Monday, May 13, 2013 1:44 AM
  • Were you able to add PWA site as trusted site?

When you access other working site, what is the zone this site is listed?

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, May 16, 2013 4:30 PM
  • Both sites are in trusted site list.

The accounts used to access are from administration to Project Manager group levels.

All Project Professional users have full access to Project Server from their workstations.

I can access the Project Central page but when I try to access the home page appears the login dialogue box. After three attempts appears the message "IE cannot display the web page." and the buttom "Diagnose connection problems". If I click it the diagnostics is "Problem found: Windows can't  automatically detect this network's settings. - Detected".

It is strange because how the home page can have a network issue and the Project or Resource Central pages not?

Certainly the issue has another origin.

• Edited by R.Segawa Thursday, May 16, 2013 7:21 PM
    Thursday, May 16, 2013 7:19 PM
  • This is interesting. Do you have any custom web part or home page is out of the box default layout.

Did you try using Fiddler tool? You may need to analyze from user desktop and server itself.

http://fiddler2.com/get-fiddler

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Thursday, May 16, 2013 7:41 PM
  • Hrishi,

The PWA entire configuration, including the home page is out of the box. Even the logo is original.

I never used the fiddler 2. I installed in my desktop and run on another https Project Server site to look at the diagnostics. What or where should I look for?

Thank you.

• Edited by R.Segawa Thursday, May 16, 2013 9:56 PM
    Thursday, May 16, 2013 9:54 PM
  • Ok, so you have another working PWA site? If yes,  compare working and non working fiddler 2 data.

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Thursday, May 16, 2013 10:02 PM
  • Hi Hrishi,

I did the comparison of the output of the fiddler 2. Consider Instance A of PWA as the instance that Allow access and Instace B as the one that Block access to the home page. The main diferences I found out in the reports were:

Header:

Instance A:

Accept: image/jpeg, image/gif, image/pjpeg, application/x-ms-application,application/xaml+xml, application/x-ms-xbap, */*

User-Agent:Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729)

Cookie: WSS_KeepSessionAuthenticated={b32266ed-c758-43d0-959c-724cd52a7e62}; ASP.NET_SessionId=y1tbrcb0c5onbq2d25espz45; PWA_Perf=0; Ribbon.Read=1020561|-1|0|-1828900141

HTTP/1.1 302 Redirect
    Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
    Server: Microsoft-IIS/7.5
    SPRequestGuid: c5001332-dcb5-41b7-ad52-eb6e985c0825
    Set-Cookie: WSS_KeepSessionAuthenticated={b32266ed-c758-43d0-959c-724cd52a7e62}; path=/
    X-SharePointHealthScore: 0
    Set-Cookie: WSS_KeepSessionAuthenticated={b32266ed-c758-43d0-959c-724cd52a7e62}; path=/
    Persistent-Auth: true
    X-Powered-By: ASP.NET

Instance B:

Accept: text/html, application/xhtml+xml, */*

User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0)
    Cookie: lcid=1033; WSS_KeepSessionAuthenticated={78b7db62-4204-4396-bd98-501d2ebe7e36}
    Authorization: NTLM
    TlRMTVNTUAABAAAAB4IIogAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGAbEdAAAADw==

HTTP/1.1
    401 Unauthorized

Server: Microsoft-IIS/7.5
    SPRequestGuid:dd41e61d-1414-406b-932d-27016f5d62e3
    WWW-Authenticate: NTLM

Authentication

Instance A:

Type2 reply.

NTLM authentication.

Client workstation domain provided.  Server can determine if the client eligible for local authentication.

Client workstation name provided.  Server can determine if the client eligible for local authentication.

Negotiate Always Sign.

Negotiate NTLM2 Key.

Supports 56-bit encryption.

Supports 128-bit encryption.

Domain_Offset: 53; Domain_Length: 5; Domain_Length2: 5

Host_Offset: 40; Host_Length: 13; Host_Length2: 13

Host: SPOINT01

Domain: LAB

Instance B:

Type2 reply.

NTLM authentication.

Negotiate Always Sign.

Negotiate NTLM2 Key.

Supports 56-bit encryption.

Supports 128-bit encryption.

Domain_Offset: 0; Domain_Length: 0; Domain_Length2: 0

Host_Offset: 0; Host_Length: 0; Host_Length2: 0

Host:

Domain:

Can you get some hint of what is going on based on the highlights above?

Thank you.

• Edited by R.Segawa Wednesday, May 22, 2013 3:27 AM
    Wednesday, May 22, 2013 3:13 AM
  • I discovered the cause of the issue.

Some network security guy blocked a range of high numbered ports in the firewall without warning us.

It is curious that I started to loose access to the pages of PWA slowly,one at a time until I lost total access in a matter of a week. But I could access the home page and some compatible pages using Google Chrome or Safari indicating that the server was alive. Project Professional could log to the server too. SharePoint Central Administration was not affected by the issue.

I solved the issue using Microsoft Network Monitor 3.4 utility. I found out that the port used by IE access PWA was blocked. In Google Chrome the access is more inteligent. It found out that the port was blocked too, but it scans for an unblocked port so it succeed to connect to PWA.

I asked the firewall administrator to open the port and now it is working right.

If someone has the same issue this is a case to study.

• Edited by R.Segawa Tuesday, June 11, 2013 2:51 PM
    • Marked as answer by R.Segawa Tuesday, June 11, 2013 2:52 PM
    Tuesday, June 11, 2013 2:47 PM
  • Thanks for the update Ricardo.

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 3:04 PM