Problem with msra after upgrade to 1903 RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Support,

After upgrading my PC to 1903 the app msra (remote assistance ) stopped to work. I get the message (attached) that i don't have default e-mail client configured what is not truth as i got it configured (pic attached). The msra app worked fine before the upgrade. I had Thunderbird as default e-mail and it worked. I tested it on more than 5 pc upgraded - all had the problem. Please advise. Wanted to pass the images but i got message Body text cannot contain images....

Regards,

Krzysztof Szukala

Thursday, June 6, 2019 9:05 AM

All replies

• I shall suggest you to uninstall and reinstall Microsoft Remote Desktop Assistant App.

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Monday, June 10, 2019 3:21 AM
  • S.Sengupta thank u 4 ur reply. I will try this workround later on but imo it is still only workround and not the fix to the problem or knowing the cause of this behaviour. For me it is a bug and it needs to be fixed but as i meantioned b4 will check the solution and will report if it succed.
    Monday, June 10, 2019 11:00 AM
  • Unfortunately it did not resolve the problem. msra /email command does not work after this so called may upgrade. Can please any Microsoft eng. have a look at the problem I am reporting? For me it is a serious issue and should be fixed in the fastest possible time.
    Monday, June 10, 2019 3:51 PM
  • Hi,

Please try to use Quick Assist instead to see if any error. Quick Assist is a new app in Windows 10 that, like Remote Assistance, enables you to receive or provide assistance over a remote connection. To open Quick Assist, select Start  > Windows Accessories > Quick Assist. 

Best Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 11, 2019 2:32 AM
  • Hello,

First of all, thank you for your reply. I must admit I was aware of the Quick Assist but I prefered msra app. MSRA is widely used in company I work and it will be hassle to switch to Quick Assist. I hope that it is not a Microsoft way to depreciate the msra application by this upgrade that made it much less usable than it was before (unable to launch e-mail client with invitation attached). I recon many companies use this solution and I find it very surprising that such upgrade was not tested against this functionality. Hope it is gong to be fixed shortly.

Best regards,

Krzysztof

Tuesday, June 11, 2019 4:51 AM
  • Please Check the Registry keys under HKLM\Software\microsoft\OLE

Do they look like this MachineAccessRestrictionOld  ?

We found it was our AV creating this bad key. Which causes Remote assistance to fail as a Non-Admin.

Upgrading without the AV can solve it.

• Proposed as answer by Barryt_jam Thursday, January 23, 2020 12:07 AM
    • Edited by Barryt_jam Thursday, January 23, 2020 12:09 AM
    Tuesday, January 21, 2020 10:16 PM
  • We're still seeing this issue as well in 1909 with GroupWise as the default mail client.

As it does not seem to be going away any time soon, we are working around it by wrapping the msra invocation in a Powershell script, saving the .msrcincident file to a temporary location and using the Simple-MAPI.NET wrapper to compose a new e-mail with the .msrcincident file as the attachment.

To make use of the code below, download the Simple-MAPI.NET nuget package file and unzip it into the ".\simple-mapi.net" directory relative to the script's own Directory:

<# .SYNOPSIS Invokes Remote Assistance and sends the invitation file via e-mail .DETAIL Invokes MS Remote Assistance with the /saveasfile option to save the invitation in a temporary file. The invitation file is attached to a new e-mail composition via Simple MAPI. The user is being shown a "compose e-mail" dialog of the default mail client with the subject and body prepopulated. #> # Set the Powershell window to invisible, when not in ISE If(-not $psISE) { $windowcode = '[DllImport("user32.dll")] public static extern bool ShowWindowAsync(IntPtr hWnd, int nCmdShow);' $asyncwindow = Add-Type -MemberDefinition $windowcode -name Win32ShowWindowAsync -namespace Win32Functions -PassThru $null = $asyncwindow::ShowWindowAsync((Get-Process -PID $pid).MainWindowHandle, 0) } $MSRCIncidentFile = "$env:TEMP\My-RemoteAssistanceRequest.MSRCINCIDENT" $MailSubject = "Remote Assistance request from $env:USERNAME/$env:COMPUTERNAME" $MailBody = @" Hi, attached, you will find the invitation for a Remote Assistance session. Please contact me regarding the password. Kind regards "@ $ErrorActionPreference = "Stop"

# Throw a message box, if an instance of msra is already running Try { Get-Process -Name "msra" Add-Type -AssemblyName "Microsoft.VisualBasic" [Microsoft.VisualBasic.Interaction]::MsgBox("Please close the currently opened window of 'Windows Remote Assistance' to issue a new assistance request.", [Microsoft.VisualBasic.MsgBoxStyle]::Exclamation, "You have a pending assistance request") Return } Catch {} $ErrorActionPreference = "Continue" # delete a previous invitation file, if necessary If(Test-Path -LiteralPath $MSRCIncidentFile) { Remove-Item -LiteralPath $MSRCIncidentFile -Force } # call to MSRA, save invitation to temporary file msra /saveasfile $MSRCIncidentFile Start-Sleep 2 # use Simple MAPI to compose an e-mail with Subject and Body set and the invitation file attached Add-Type -Path "$PSScriptRoot\simple-mapi.net\lib\net20\SimpleMapi.dll" $Mapi = [Win32Mapi.SimpleMapi]::new() $Mapi.Attach($MSRCIncidentFile) # $true to show the mail composition dialog $Mapi.Send($MailSubject, $MailBody, $true)

Monday, February 10, 2020 10:23 AM