locked
App-V 5 SP2 0xc0000142 RRS feed

  • Question

  • I intend to use AppV 5 SP2 without a publishing server in standalone mode.  It is possible that I do not have the client settings configured correctly for standalone mode.  Eventually we want to load and publish AppV packages from a DFS share as we did with AppV 4.6.

    I sequenced an application that runs from a single executable and has no supporting files. I then copied the saved folder to the local C drive of the machine I want to publish it on.  Using these commands, I successfully added the package and published it to the local machine.  

    add-appvclientpackage c:\appvsource\bigfreeclock\bigfreeclock.appv

    publish-appvclientpackage BigFreeClock

    When I click the icon in the start menu to open the app, I get error "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142)."

    The Virtual Applications event log says "The virtual application could not be started because the App-V Subsystem 'Virtual Filessystem' could not be initialized. {error: 0x74300D0A-0x200006}.  I found the article about 8.3 file names not being enabled, but the registry key is already correct and I can get short names if I use the dir /x command.  

    The Subsystems-VirtApps log says "Failed to build policy from configuration received from the RPC server. Error code 0x74300D0A-0x20006"

    and "Failed to add a package entry to the cache for namespace"

    If I copy the executable from c:\programdata\app-v\longguid\Root\VFS\Common programs\BigFreeClock to the desktop, it runs find when double clicked.  

    On a side note.  I only started looking at AppV 5 because anything I packaged with my 4.6 sequencing VM would not load, saying it couldn't open a stream.  However, the same 4.6 client could open packages made previously, from the same DFS share no problem.  Thus, I don't think it's a permissions issue.  Unless there is some Windows Update that is breaking the sequencer, I don't know what is going wrong here.   

    Thursday, July 10, 2014 6:50 PM

Answers

  • It turns out I had a bad hard drive in my Hyper-V server.  I've replaced the drives and remade all my packaging VM's.  So far so good.  The problem has gone away.  

    It looks like the SFT files were being corrupted by the bad drives.

    Thursday, July 17, 2014 9:38 PM

All replies

  • Hello,

    1. If you "just" enabled 8.3 names after installing App-V 5 - uninstall the client and then install it again

    2. use process monitor to understands what happens in the background.


    Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

    Thursday, July 10, 2014 8:57 PM
  • For your second issue (App-V 4 and 5 co-exitence) you should open another thread


    Falko

    Twitter @kirk_tn   |   Blog kirxblog   |   Web kirx.org   |   Fireside appvbook.com

    Friday, July 11, 2014 6:59 AM
    Moderator
  • 8.3 names have been enabled the entire time and never turned off on either sequencer or client.  

    I was able to make the package and have it work using a different sequencing machine, also running on a Hyper-V server.  I still don't know why sequences made on that machine work and don't on the one I just made from scratch.  I suppose I could reinstall Hyper-v from scratch, but it seems healthy for creating new VM's like I did with this one. 

    With 4.6 SP0 it seemed like installing windows updates broke it so we stopped doing that.  I figured it would no longer be a problem for SP2.  I'll try making a maching without any updates.  


    Monday, July 14, 2014 6:58 PM
  • It turns out I had a bad hard drive in my Hyper-V server.  I've replaced the drives and remade all my packaging VM's.  So far so good.  The problem has gone away.  

    It looks like the SFT files were being corrupted by the bad drives.

    Thursday, July 17, 2014 9:38 PM