Columns move when doubleclicksing while viewing 2+ column format RRS feed

• Question

•  Here's the setup. You're viewing a multi-column view of a folder. If you have a large mp3 collection, this would be an ideal folder to look at.

Arrange it as "List" with 2 columns. Or 3 columns. The key here is that some part of the Right hand columns file names are off screen, even if it's NOT the one you're clicking. (I understand that Windows is trying to help by bringing a file/folder name into full view, I just wish it would stop helping.)

When you double-click on something (file or folder) in the right hand column the item you're attempting to open kindly jumps to the left and you fail to double-click. This is ever-so frustrating. Can I turn this off? How? Pretty please?
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 11:39 PM

Answers

• Hi _Nauip,

I understand the situation you are talking about. As you said, the purpose is to help customer get the column which is not displayed in right hand. So when there is a file which have a long file name in the right hand column, if we click on any file in that column, it will switch one more column. It is a reported issue as it causes inconvenience like you descripted. Hope an update will be released.
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Friday, January 22, 2010 9:12 AM
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 7:07 AM

All replies

• First, I would like to tell you that you can change your mouse setting to avoiding your issue. You just need to reduce the mouse doubleclick time. You can try to change the mouse double click speed. Open Control pannel --mouse, improve the speed.  I just reduce the following regestry value to 350.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Mouse DoubleClickSpeed

According to my test, I can open the file directly after changing the registry setting. 
    John
    • Edited by John Cena Monday, January 25, 2010 1:51 AM
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 10:17 AM
  • Hi _Nauip,

I understand the situation you are talking about. As you said, the purpose is to help customer get the column which is not displayed in right hand. So when there is a file which have a long file name in the right hand column, if we click on any file in that column, it will switch one more column. It is a reported issue as it causes inconvenience like you descripted. Hope an update will be released.
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Friday, January 22, 2010 9:12 AM
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 7:07 AM
  • This is still a nuisance as of the latest patches from Patch Tuesday.
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 9:51 PM
  • It's been a year since this post was made... did anything ever address this? It's so ANNOYING!
    Monday, January 31, 2011 12:11 AM