Internet explorer doesn't display sites correctly unless they are trusted RRS feed

• Question

• This is an odd problem. On the reference image prior to it being sysprep'd and captured, going to certain sites (e.g. lifehacker.com) the menus, all pictures and advertisements display just fine. But once capture and deploy that image those sites stop working the way they should. I made sure the unattend file was making zero changes to IE and I even disabled the IE configuration app that I made with IEAK to ensure that IE was being setup as is out of the box, but something is changing the way it operates and it fails to work the way it did before it get deployed to a client. I don't have any extra add-ons and no tracking protection lists.

The big problem is it causes compatibility issues with lots of sites, such as menus not appearing when you hover like they should. I even tried building a clean machine from the Microsoft media directly and creating IEAK packages from that, a totally clean machine. That didn't work either.

Anyone else have weird problems like this before?

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Monday, August 25, 2014 6:31 PM

Answers

• Well after lots and lots of testing, I finally figured it out. CopyProfile IS the issue I found others posted about it being buggy in Windows 8.1 although they were using SCCM. I removed CopyProfile and then used http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj134269.aspx#BKMK_AppFolder to set my Start Screen layout. I also edited the unattend file to set my theme as well. That's all I needed all profiles to have. Now IE works perfectly. I tested everything that was breaking before and it all works just fine now.

• Marked as answer by Dan_Vega Thursday, October 30, 2014 3:01 PM
    Thursday, October 30, 2014 3:01 PM

All replies

• I built a whole new deployment share, tasks, etc. from the ground up (new install of ADK and MDT). I even removed certain apps I thought might cause this issue. Well when a machine finishes imaging, it works fine but after rebooting it IE stops working correctly. The weird thing is I have a reboot added after all the applications install, so IE should be broken by then if they caused it to break, but it works fine until I reboot after MDT is finished.

The only thing that runs after the reboot that installs anything is windows update and it installed:

Security Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB2920189)
    Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB2978002)

Monday, September 8, 2014 5:41 PM
  • What version of IE are you deploying? What version of Windows? 

Tuesday, September 9, 2014 11:05 PM
  • Windows 8.1 IE 11. Yesterday I built a new image with all the latest updates released yesterday.

My "Base Package" of apps is:
    Visual Studio Tools 2010
    Chrome
    Firefox
    Adobe Reader
    Flash Player
    Java RE
    7-ZIP
    BOX
    VLC Player

The reference image itself contains Office 2013. This issue only affects Internet Explorer in normal view, if you use Private Mode the same site that didn't work, works just fine. I've tried experimenting with not enabling any add-ons and using "Reset" in IE, but nothing works.

I am using copy profile, but I can assure you the administrator profile works just fine with all sites in the reference image before it's sysprepped and captured. But then again IE works fine until after the first reboot when deployed to a client.

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 2:30 PM
  • Okay this helps. Are you installing any updates with IE 11 or leaving the preinstalled version alone? Do you have any custom sections for IE in your unattend.xml?
    Wednesday, September 10, 2014 3:16 PM
  • The only updates IE gets are what come through Windows Update. I configure IE using IEAK to set favorites, feeds, trusted sites, default page and help page. But I've already tried not configuring IE and leaving it just the way the default is setup. The unattend file validates with no warnings. The only changes from default are to ShowPowerButtononStartscreen=True, GoToDesktopOnSignIn=True and the known issues posted on the MDT documentation.

• Edited by Dan_Vega Wednesday, September 10, 2014 3:53 PM
    Wednesday, September 10, 2014 3:45 PM
  • Okay so are you saying that leaving IE in its default state with no customizations still produces an error? If so have you examined your windows 8.1 source files? 
    Wednesday, September 10, 2014 3:46 PM
  • Hello there,

Have you tried changing the "security and privacy settings" for IE? http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/internet-explorer/ie-security-privacy-settings#ie=ie-11

Hope this helps!

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 4:10 PM
  • I've made sure they are all at defaults. The Windows 8.1 source is fine because if I use it to manually setup a computer it works perfectly. Using the same enterprise iso of Windows 8.1 to build a reference image works fine. While the task sequence is suspended I've verified that IE works just as you would expect it to. But when the captured image is deployed, IE works right up until after the task sequence finishes and the system is restarted. Even after the TS is done IE works fine until you reboot.

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 4:35 PM
  • Interesting, so I just tried enabling Enhanced Protected Mode and now sites work as expected. But the problem is Java RE is not compatible with EPM and we have users that have to have the Java runtime working in IE. It's maddening, if it's not one thing it's another. *sigh*

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 5:01 PM
  • Disable the ApplyGPO Pack step in your task sequence or, add the following line in your cs.ini:

ApplyGPOPack=NO

This will prevent the application of a preconfigured GPO pack, which sets these and many other settings.

Recreate a reference image, and test this out please!

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 6:08 PM
  • I wish it were just that, but that's of the first things I do. In fact I have that configured in settings and I always disable that task just to be sure. About the only thing I can think of is that this might have started up when I built new images using the Windows 8.1 update 1 media a few months ago. We just didn't discover the bug until a few weeks ago. I think most users just figured it was IE and used a different browser for certain sites. I'm going to try using the 8.1 enterprise media we have to see if somehow it works when building a new image based off that.

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 6:40 PM
  • Well I just came across a user with Windows 7 using an image I last updated almost a year ago and her laptop was setup before then and she's having the same IE issue (I thought it was only affecting our Windows 8 users). For example pressing the delete key in OWA (Outlook web) doesn't work unless outlook.com is added to the trusted site list and then it works just fine. So apparently this issue isn't something that only affects recently made images. But this issue has recently come to our attention. I think I'll have to just use trusted sites as a workaround until I have time to try setting up a whole new machine and deployment share from scratch then test building an image with nothing customized or apps added and one customized to our needs.

Thursday, September 11, 2014 5:46 PM
  • I seem to have tracked it down to the copy profile setting. That is when I don't use copy profile, IE works. I turn copy profile back on and IE breaks again. The same thing happened on a newly created reference image.

Has anyone else had issues using copy profile with Windows 8.1? How else can I set the tile layout and group names? Or can I somehow make copy profile not apply internet explorer settings?

Friday, September 12, 2014 2:26 PM
  • Hey Dan! Thanks for the updated info. As I suspected, something in the reference image MAY be causing this.

Generally, you want to configure the Administrator profile.. Make sure there are no other profiles listed and you have deleted the corresponding registry keys for non-admin profiles. In addition, your reference image is built on a VM right?

Friday, September 12, 2014 4:25 PM
  • Yup I do all builds and testing using Hyper-V. I have a cleanup command that could be causing the problem, so I'm going to try disabling it and capturing a new reference image. The command I use is: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase

As for other profiles, there are none but the administrator. If you're wondering why I use the cleanup command, it's to reduce the WIM size and I got it here - http://deploymentbunny.com/2013/12/23/nice-to-know-reduce-the-size-of-your-wim-after-patching-and-before-doing-a-capture/

Friday, September 12, 2014 4:44 PM
  • Well after lots and lots of testing, I finally figured it out. CopyProfile IS the issue I found others posted about it being buggy in Windows 8.1 although they were using SCCM. I removed CopyProfile and then used http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj134269.aspx#BKMK_AppFolder to set my Start Screen layout. I also edited the unattend file to set my theme as well. That's all I needed all profiles to have. Now IE works perfectly. I tested everything that was breaking before and it all works just fine now.

• Marked as answer by Dan_Vega Thursday, October 30, 2014 3:01 PM
    Thursday, October 30, 2014 3:01 PM