Unable to download email from ISP email to Windows mail RRS feed

• Question

• I am having a problem moving mail from my ISP mail account to windows mail on my laptop.   Basically everytime I open windows mail, I generate this error:

"The host 'POP.charter.net' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly.
     Account: 'Charter Email', Server: 'POP.charter.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001,
    Error Number: 0x800CCC0D"

I verified my setup on a laptop computer running XP using Outlook Express and the ISP mail xfer worked like a charm.   So the problem is related to the first laptop.  Also both laptops have much the same files and applications and settings.   I can also ping the pop3 and smtp servers from the problem laptop.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Brian
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 8:48 PM

All replies

• Deleting the account and setting it up again usually works.

Sunday, October 18, 2009 1:37 PM
  • Thanks, but I've already tried this.
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 3:40 AM
  • Burt. I have a very similar problem with WindowsLiveMail. I'm running IE8 Vista-32 and this is what I'm seeing:

Unable to send or receive messages for the gmail account. The host "gmail" could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly.

Server: "gmail"

WindowsLiveMailError: ID 0x800CCC0D

Protocol POP3  (I have this disabled in gmail)

Port:110

Secure (SSL) NO  (should this say YES?)

Socket Error: 11001

In gmail, under SETTINGS, Forwarding and POP3/IMAP in the Forwarding window at the Verify (my email address at WindowsLive.com), at the box I neen to type in a code then click to Verift the WindowsLive.com address I have. I do not have this code.

In Windoes Live Mail, the gmail is being forwarded, can open messages, and when email is deleated from gmail, it is also deleated from the LiveMail.com address. I can usually find a solution, but this time I can not. Thank you ! Carrie

Papa said," If all else fails, read the directions...first." 1962
    • Proposed as answer by Diago Place Tuesday, April 19, 2011 3:12 PM
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 3:23 PM