none
User accounts corruption RRS feed

• Question

• After using SteadyState for the past month on my son's school's computer, at least 8 of the 19 computers have had problems with the user account becoming corrupted resulting in the inability to access the user account.  Further, various computers are unable to maintain simple settings like the screen saver.  Some will start up as programmed, others will have the default screen saver, while others not activate the screen saver.  I'm beginning to wonder if I am the only one with this problem and if there are programs that I have installed that have known compatibility problems with SteadyState.  I doubt the kids can corrupt the accounts since they are K-6 and the teacher is not very familiar with the steps I have taken to secure the computers.

I like the security that SteadyState brings, but if it is the source of these user account corruption, then the program can't be used to secure the computers.  It takes me around 15 - 30 minutes to set up each user account and with the frequency of each account corruption, it is too time consuming to repeatedly repair these accounts.  Is there a way to pin down the source of these problems and solve them?  Thanks.
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 11:50 PM

Answers

• We used to have one machine that would constantly corrupt its user.  Our county IT had a tool specifically to repair the profile, which it did, but unforuntately I have no clue what the name is, but I will inquire (it might take a while :( ), anyway, for the time being here is a step by step http://www.helsinki.fi/atk/english/guidance/directory/damaged_user_profile.html  I think too a lot of it has to do with the profile name and whether it was created using windows, or using steady state.  Make the user name really short if possible, and the full name can be really long, also make sure if using Windows to create the user do so before installing Steady State, other wise I have feeling that Steady State doesn't like using windows management or vice-a-versa.

Respectfully,

James Ghiorzi
    Library Assistant II
    San Benito County Free Library
    470 Fifth St.
    Hollister, CA

Friday, April 17, 2009 11:05 PM

All replies

• We used to have one machine that would constantly corrupt its user.  Our county IT had a tool specifically to repair the profile, which it did, but unforuntately I have no clue what the name is, but I will inquire (it might take a while :( ), anyway, for the time being here is a step by step http://www.helsinki.fi/atk/english/guidance/directory/damaged_user_profile.html  I think too a lot of it has to do with the profile name and whether it was created using windows, or using steady state.  Make the user name really short if possible, and the full name can be really long, also make sure if using Windows to create the user do so before installing Steady State, other wise I have feeling that Steady State doesn't like using windows management or vice-a-versa.

Respectfully,

James Ghiorzi
    Library Assistant II
    San Benito County Free Library
    470 Fifth St.
    Hollister, CA

Friday, April 17, 2009 11:05 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.  The link refers to Windows NT.  The computers are XP Home edition.  I'm not sure if this will make a difference.  I have replaced all the defective user accounts for now.  The accounts were made with the User controls in the control panel and then modified by Steady State.  Most of these accounts were made before installing Steady State, but the ones that were corrupt were replaced with Steady State still installed.
    Saturday, April 18, 2009 8:03 AM