none
Default TaskBar Items Getting Wiped During Windows 10 Reference Image Creation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

I've been banging my head against the wall trying to figure this one out but can't seem to make any progress.  Here's the situation:

I am attempting to create a Windows 10 x64 Enterprise Reference Image using a single task sequence that drops the image down, installs our software, suspends to allow me to customize the admin profile, and then captures the wim.  Everything works great as far as installing Windows 10 and the applications, and even the modifications I make to the admin profile (mainly just reorganizing the start menu) work great.

The problem is that the Sysprep and Capture part of the task sequence seems to be removing the default Edge and Store items on the taskbar.  Now I know that taskbar customizations do not carry over using CopyProfile in the unattend.xml but these are the default items that Windows uses and I'm not tinkering with them.  I can't figure out why they are getting removed.  I have checked the deployment logs and can't seem to find any clues.

Stranger still, if I choose not to perform the sysprep and capture step of the Reference Image task sequence and let it complete fully then start a Litetouch deployment and use a standalone Sysprep and Capture task sequence, the taskbar items remain intact. 

So while I do have a workaround, my question here is mainly for my own sanity.  Has anyone else encountered this or know what is causing the default taskbar items to disappear when using the reference image task sequence?  I am using MDT 2013 Update 2, perhaps this is a new bug?

Thanks.

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 3:18 PM

All replies

• If you're attempting to use CopyProfile, you'll save yourself headaches if you stop doing that. There are plenty of ways to achieve what copy profile would do without using it.

To set the taskbar links you can specify them in the unattend file.

For example in the oobeSystem pass you could add:

<TaskbarLinks>
                    <Link0>%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Internet Explorer.lnk</Link0>
                    <Link1>%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Outlook 2016.lnk</Link1>
                    <Link2>%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Word 2016.lnk</Link2>
                    <Link3></Link3>
                </TaskbarLinks>
    If you wanted to set a default theme, you essentially create it during unattend in the oobeSystem pass.
                <Themes>
                    <DesktopBackground>%WINDIR%\web\wallpaper\Windows\img0.jpg</DesktopBackground>
                    <ThemeName>Windows</ThemeName>
                    <WindowColor>Automatic</WindowColor>
                </Themes>
    If you want to set the start menu you can export the layout and then either replace the LayoutModification.xml in the reference image or have it replaced during deployment.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 5:00 PM
  • Thanks for the response Dan.

Unfortunately that does not really address what seems to be the core issue.  CopyProfile is not even set in my Reference Image task sequence.  It is only set in the deployment task sequence and happens to be working as intended.

The problem seems to lie with the Sysprep and Capture phase of the Reference Image task sequence.  For some reason when Sysprep and Capture is invoked within the Reference Image task sequence, it is wiping out the default taskbar icons for Edge and Store.  

If I do not use the Sysprep and Capture within the Reference Image task sequence and simply run a stand-alone Sysprep and Capture task sequence from a LiteTouch window after running the Ref Image task sequence, it does not wipe out the default taskbar icons for Edge and Store.

Just trying to understand why the Sysprep and Capture phase within the Ref Image task sequence would behave differently than a stand-alone Sysprep and Capture task sequence when it comes to these taskbar icons disappearing.

• Edited by Ian Nunley Tuesday, February 2, 2016 6:59 PM typo
    Tuesday, February 2, 2016 6:57 PM
  • Dan's reply does infer the answer which is CopyProfile doesn't work on Windows 10.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/7c02e049-2e90-41a5-bf54-c98ebe2d4285/copyprofile-working-in-windows-10?forum=mdt

Logs are very important. https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/ Mention any customizations you have made.

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 7:06 PM