none
Mail-Enabled Security Group Delivery Restrictions

Question

• Hey all. Exchange Server 2013, except Public Folders are still back on 2010. At least that's what I'm told. Don't think it matters but just in case.

We've got a distribution list(TempDistro1@company.com), well mail-enabled security group that has delivery restrictions. Currently TempDistro1 can only receive mail from members in the TempDistro1_Security group. This works great. However, we want TempDistro1 to also be able to receive mail from a public folder(TempPublicFolder@company.com). The public folder is mail enabled.

I am unable to do this through the EAC GUI as public folders do not show up. I am also unable to do this in powershell for a few reasons stated below.

1. Cannot do through GUI because Public Folders do not show up in the list

2. Cannot use -AcceptMessagesOnlyFromSendersOrMembers 

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Set-DistributionGroup -Identity "TempDistro1" -AcceptMessagesOnlyFromSendersOrMembers @{add="TempPublicFOlder@company.com"}

This gives me no output. It just goes to the next line and awaits another command. However, this does REMOVE TempDistro1_Security from the delivery restrictions. I can confirm this by running Get-DistributionGroup and looking into the GUI. Not sure why this removes the other group. Even if I put a comma and add both group names in there it still doesn't add any group and will leave the message restrictions blank.

3. Cannot use -AcceptMessagesOnlyFromDLMembers

Same as above just with a different switch. This gives me the error ""TempPublicFolder@company.com" isn't a group.""

4. Cannot use -AcceptMessagesOnlyFrom

Same as above just with a different switch. This gives me the error ""TempPublicFolder@company.com" isn't an individual receipient.""

I'm a rather new System Admin. So this part of exchange is still somewhat new to me. Still learning what I can and cannot do and what is out there. From what I've read there are no other switches that would help me here. Does this just not work how I want it to? I can't find a reasonable explanation anywhere either.

Tuesday, February 13, 2018 5:13 PM

Answers

• I'm rather certain that you're seeing is "by design".  Your problem is that a public folder isn't a security principal so you can't grant receive rights for it.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Tuesday, February 13, 2018 9:05 PM

All replies

• I'm rather certain that you're seeing is "by design".  Your problem is that a public folder isn't a security principal so you can't grant receive rights for it.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Tuesday, February 13, 2018 9:05 PM
  • Ah ok well that makes sense then. Don't really have any other options or ideas right now so I may have to just convert the Public Folder into a Shared Mailbox.
    Wednesday, February 14, 2018 3:33 PM