MS Word 2016 Pro Plus - Thesaurus Not Functional RRS feed

• Question

• We have a mixed environment here, supporting multiple versions of Microsoft Office ranging from 2010 to 2016, and Windows 7 ranging from pre-SP1 to Windows 10 anniversary update. 

On several of our Windows 10 builds we are experiencing a problem with MS Word, reported by end users. The problem is that when they highlight a word and right click it, to check for synonyms with thesaurus, thesaurus will open in the right pane, but no words or suggestions show up.

Language settings (English US) are set correctly, we don't have any customized dictionaries or users using anything other than English US reporting this problem. 

The issue is occurring on both builds 10240 and 10586 at least, and on office versions 16.0.4266.1001, and newer. 

We cannot isolate what is causing Thesaurus not to work.  We have attempted an Office repair, and an uninstall/reinstall none of which have succeeded. 

Has anyone experienced this, or does anyone know how to resolve this? 

Monday, March 20, 2017 9:27 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Does the issue only happen to Office which version is 16.0.4266.1001? Please upgrade your Office 2016 to the latest version.

Make sure the automatic updating for Office is enabled for Windows. When you turn on automatic updating for Windows through Microsoft Update, you'll also get Office updates for earlier versions of Office, such as Office 2010 or 2007, or for Office volume license installs.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Update-Office-with-Microsoft-Update-f59d3f9d-bd5d-4d3b-a08e-1dd659cf5282?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

Additionally, please try to start Word in safe mode to narrow down if the issue is related to any third-party add-ins or customize settings:

Press Win+R to open Run in Windows, type WinWord /safe, press Enter.

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 9:50 AM
  • Winnie, 

The issue occurs on multiple versions of MS Office, pretty much anything from 16.0.4266.1001, up to the latest version we have installed, which I believe is 16.0.7571.2109. 

I will try safe-mode on an affected machine, and report back.  I will also attempt to manually update one machine with the issue.  Are there any specific KBs or hotfixes I should try first? We do have automatic updates configured on the machines, but our environment's updates are managed through SCCM, so they aren't pushed as quickly as MS makes them available. 

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 1:42 PM