Installing SCCM 2012 Client on Virtual Machines RRS feed

• Question

• Questions:

1. Is there a script that can "anonymise" SCCM 2012 SP1 client on a reference/master virtual machine? If not, what are the manual steps to do so?
    2. What's the best practice for handling SCCM client installation on cloned virtual machines?
    3. If mistakenly installed on a master image, is there a way to cleanly uninstall SCCM client (if needed)?

Thanks!

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 12:14 AM

Answers

• Answers:

1) I don't have any reference scripts, but it wouldn't be too hard to make them...  If you do use the ConfigMgr client to run the script, do realize that it would never report its status since the script would shut down the client agent.

2) Pre-installing the client in the image is supported as long as you you take the appropriate steps to prepare the client for imaging.

See the "How to Install Configuration Manager Clients by Using Computer Imaging" section, as well as the "To prepare the client computer for imaging" section underneath it:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg712298.aspx

3)  To uninstall the client on any device, you can run C:\Windows\CCMSetup\CCMSetup.exe /Uninstall

271)  Rather than hand installing the client in the image, consider doing a "Build and Capture" task sequence to create your virtual machine image.  This is by far my preferred method, since you are then handling virtual machines as you would physical instead of having entirely separate processes.  The Build and Capture task sequence will take care of generalizing the image and preparing the client before capture.

I hope that helps!

Nash

Nash Pherson, Senior Systems Consultant
    Now Micro - My Blog Posts
    <-- If this post was helpful, please click "Vote as Helpful".

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 1:29 AM

All replies

• Answers:

1) I don't have any reference scripts, but it wouldn't be too hard to make them...  If you do use the ConfigMgr client to run the script, do realize that it would never report its status since the script would shut down the client agent.

2) Pre-installing the client in the image is supported as long as you you take the appropriate steps to prepare the client for imaging.

See the "How to Install Configuration Manager Clients by Using Computer Imaging" section, as well as the "To prepare the client computer for imaging" section underneath it:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg712298.aspx

3)  To uninstall the client on any device, you can run C:\Windows\CCMSetup\CCMSetup.exe /Uninstall

271)  Rather than hand installing the client in the image, consider doing a "Build and Capture" task sequence to create your virtual machine image.  This is by far my preferred method, since you are then handling virtual machines as you would physical instead of having entirely separate processes.  The Build and Capture task sequence will take care of generalizing the image and preparing the client before capture.

I hope that helps!

Nash

Nash Pherson, Senior Systems Consultant
    Now Micro - My Blog Posts
    <-- If this post was helpful, please click "Vote as Helpful".

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 1:29 AM