Server Manager Role Service Install Failed error 800F0818 RRS feed

• Question

• I attempt to install service pack 2 for exchange on my exchange server I get 800F0818 prior trying to install some pre-requisite services.

So thinking this is related to recent update I run the System Updated Readiness Tool:

Below is the log from that:

=================================
    Checking System Update Readiness.
    Binary Version 6.1.7601.21645
    Package Version 14.0
    2012-05-07 13:50

Checking Windows Servicing Packages

Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs

Checking Package Watchlist

Checking Component Watchlist

Checking Packages

Checking Component Store

Summary:
    Seconds executed: 719
     No errors detected
    (w)    Unable to get system disk properties    0x0000045D    IOCTL_STORAGE_QUERY_PROPERTY    Disk Cache    
    Customer Experience report successfully uploaded.  Thank you for participating.  For more information, see the Microsoft Customer Experience Improvement Program on the Microsoft web site.

What do I need to do to get this resolved I have seen a ton of articles but nothing seems to be pointing me in the right direction.

Monday, May 7, 2012 7:04 PM

All replies

• Hello,

As I understand, you would like to add some prerequisite role services. But the error 800F0818 is received in Server Manager.

What’s the operating system? I recommend you re-run System Update Readiness Tool one more time in case the last scan missed something. If it finds any corruption, post the unedited CheckSUR report here. Also, please run System File Checker Tool (sfc /scannow) to scan the system. If still no luck, we will have to perform In-place Upgrade to repair the system. It will scan and fix the system corruption while the data and programs are not impacted.

Thanks
    Zhang

Tuesday, May 8, 2012 2:46 AM
  • SFC found nothing wrong.

=================================
    Checking System Update Readiness.
    Binary Version 6.1.7601.21645
    Package Version 14.0
    2012-05-08 07:22

Checking Windows Servicing Packages

Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs

Checking Package Watchlist

Checking Component Watchlist

Checking Packages

Checking Component Store

Summary:
    Seconds executed: 727
     No errors detected
    (w)    Unable to get system disk properties    0x0000045D    IOCTL_STORAGE_QUERY_PROPERTY    Disk Cache    
    Customer Experience report successfully uploaded.  Thank you for participating.  For more information, see the Microsoft Customer Experience Improvement Program on the Microsoft web site.

Still the same error after trying to install a role service.

Since this is my only exchange server I am very leery of doing an in-place upgrade. This is a production server and I do not have a spare machine I can build for exchange.

Tuesday, May 8, 2012 12:39 PM
  • Windows 2008 R2
    Wednesday, May 9, 2012 12:58 PM
  • Hello,

Check this Microsoft KB.

You receive an error message in Windows Server 2008 if you click Roles under the Server Manager console
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971509

In most similar cases, the System Update Readiness Tool (SURT) can find corrupt files and the solid solution is to replace these corrupt files. While in your case, the SURT found nothing. Hence,  my next suggestion is to do a backup of the server and perform In-place Upgrade.

Referring to:

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 & Windows Server 2008 R2
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099

Thanks
    Zhang

Thursday, May 10, 2012 7:43 AM
  • When trying to select Select Identify in the Default Impersonation Level list.

I get 8011084 error.

I opened it back up and did it a second time with no error.

Same problem attempting to install role service.

Thursday, May 10, 2012 12:28 PM
  • This was not the answer. Why would you mark something as the answer that did not solve the problem?

I am still working on a solution to this.

• Edited by Brad Voris Wednesday, May 16, 2012 12:10 PM
    Wednesday, May 16, 2012 12:01 PM