locked
MOSS 2007 Contact Detail Web Part doesn't import from AD RRS feed

  • Question

  • I've got a single contact that will no update from AD.  His Title and Department changed so I changed them in his profile in AD.  Usually if I'm adding their photo by changing their custom attributes I'll let it run over night and the incremental import catches this.  Not this time with the Department and Title info.  So I ran a full import and still nothing.

    If you go into view user in Shared Services it's right, but on the Contact Detail web part it has old info.  What am I missing? 

    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, April 8, 2011 6:34 AM admin q (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 7:10 PM

All replies

  • Hi,

     

    According to your description, please try the following steps to resolve your issue:

    1. Use SelfSSL to update Office Server Web Services web site. Run the following command:
    selfssl /S:<site ID of Office Web Services – mine is 951338967> /V:999999

    2. Perform full User Profile import in SSP

    3. Run stsadm -o sync -deleteolddatabases 0 –> This is to remove the failed-to-sync database information (don't worry it's safe. It's not deleting the actual content database or anything like that)

    4. Run stsadm -o sync -sweeptiming m:2 -synctiming m:3 –> This is to sync the WSS Profile Page every 2 minutes, we'll change this later to every day or every 12 hours once we've known that we've solved the problem.

    5. Wait for 2-3 minutes.

    6. Open Event Viewer and you shouldn't see any more of the above warnings.

    7. Go to Central Admin -> Operations -> Timer Job Status -> Profile Synchronization and Quick Profile Synchronization, they will run successfully.

    8. DONE, run stsadm -o sync -sweeptiming h:12 -synctiming h:12 –> To set the WSS Profile Update every 12 hours

     

    Best Regards
    David Hu

     

    Monday, April 11, 2011 1:35 AM
  • You might have to go into those first couple steps a bit more.  I'm not IIS proficient.  I don't think I have selfssl nor do I know how to find the site ID.
    Monday, April 11, 2011 9:28 PM
  • Didn't have to do any of this.  Reboot apparently cleared it up.
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 7:18 PM