Configuration Database Pointing to Old SQL Database Server RRS feed

• Question

• We have migrated all of our SharePoint databases from SQL 2008 to another server running SQL 2008. And then ran the SharePoint Technology Wizard and chose the new Database Server and the process went smooth and completed with no errors.

We faced issue with various content database of the web applications pointing to the old server, but we managed to change them to the new one, thus removing all of the errors.

However, On the Operations tab, under Servers in Farm, it still lists the old server as the Configuration Database Server (at the top of the page)

Now there are 2 servers in the farm one old one and the other new one

SCHS-SQL (Old Database Server)  Windows SharePoint Services Database

SCHS-WEBS (New Database Server) Central Administration
    Document Conversions Launcher Service
    Document Conversions Load Balancer Service
    Excel Calculation Services
    Office SharePoint Server Search
    Windows SharePoint Services Database
    Windows SharePoint Services Help Search
    Windows SharePoint Services Incoming E-Mail
    Windows SharePoint Services Outgoing E-Mail
    Windows SharePoint Services Web Application

Windows SharePoint Services Database is running on both the servers. The version number of the database is only shown for the new database server while the old one is blank. No idea how is this possible. In the default server SCHS-WEBS is selected.  

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Web Server Extensions\12.0\Secure\ConfigDb

Shows the new database server present. We tried clicking Remove Server next to the old SQL server, but this did not help. Where is this reference stored and how do we change it.

I fount this page http://www.sharepointtechs.com/2011/moss-2007-showing-old-server-as-configuration-database-server .But I'm stuck at point 1. 'You might get two rows. Check if the parent ID of both the entries are same' For me they both are different. I'm not sure how I should change this association.

Running this command stsadm -o renameserver -oldservername SCHS-SQL -newservername SCHS-WEBS. Also did not work as it tell me that the new server name already exists.

MVI - Most Valuable Indian

Monday, April 15, 2013 8:41 PM

All replies

• Hi Sheldon,

In the future:

Best Practice is to always use a SQL Alias when connecting to SQL from any application, not just SharePoint. An alias enables you to easily move Dbs without any issues.. So, the next time when your building out a new farm use an Alias to connect to SQL, then if you ever have to move all of the DBs to another SQL Server, you just modify the Server Name of the existing Alias after you have restored the Dbs on the new SQL server and your  done.

The WFE and the App Server. Stop the SharePoint Services, you can use Server Manager

From the command line

1. Enter CLICONFG
    2. Highlight TCPIP, Click Enable
    3. Click on the Alias Tab, and Click Add
    4. Click the TCPIP Radio Button
    5. Enter the SCHS-SQL Server Name in the Server Alias Box
    6. Enter the SCHS-WEBS Server Name in the Server Name Box
    7. Uncheck, Dynamically Assign
    8. Enter Port 1433, and Click OK. Make sure on your new SQL Server that you don't have an inbound rule blocking Port 1433.
    9. On the old SQL Server (SCHS-SQL) Stop the SQL Services
    10. On the new Cloned Servers start the SharePoint Services
    11. Run IISReset
    12. On The WFE and the App Server. Start the SharePoint Services, you can use Server Manager

you should be good to go..

Please let me know if you have any questions or issues during your move..

Note: If you have the SQL management Tools installed on your SharePoint Servers you can also use Configuration manager to create the Alias. But every machine has CLICONFG.

Reference: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sowmyancs/archive/2012/08/06/install-amp-configure-sharepoint-2013-with-sql-client-alias.aspx

-Ivan

Ivan Sanders My LinkedIn , My Blog, @iasanders, BI in SP2013, SP2013 Content Packs.

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 5:33 AM
  • Hello Ivan,

First of all thanks for the steps you provided inorder to solve this issue. In point 9, you mentioned to stop the SQL Services. After we finish with point 12, should we start the services in the old server again. We do use it to host other databases.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 4:17 AM
  • Hi Sheldon,

Yes, you can restart the SQL services on the OLD SQL Server. The only reason I shut them off is to prove that SharePoint is now using the new SQL server. Its not necessary but I usually still do it anyway, lol..

-Ivan

Ivan Sanders My LinkedIn , My Blog, @iasanders, BI in SP2013, SP2013 Content Packs.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 4:43 AM
  • We did run into a snag and had to completely disconnect from the farm. Then I removed all the old databases, which got corrupt from the new SQL Server (SCHS-WEBS). The SQL Alias configuration is still present. I then attached the backup of the database copy to the new SQL Server.

Ran the configuration wizard and then it went properly without any issues. The only problem was that the error it threw in the logs was the schema version of both SQL servers didn't match. I ran the upgrade command and then it got patched successfully. Created a new search database and then ran the services again.

Now there is virtually no SharePoint errors in the event logs. However the only web application on the IIS7 is the central administration and nothing else. All my web applications are gone. But in central administration they do exist and their content databases are set to the old SQL server.

I have no idea what has happened.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 2:45 PM
  • We Found this error, its only one in the entire event log relating to SharePoint:- (SharePoint_New is the configuration database)

SQL Database 'SharePoint_New' on SQL Server instance 'schs-webs' not found. Additional error information from SQL Server is included below.

Cannot open database "SharePoint_New" requested by the login. The login failed.
    Login failed for user 'SCHS\administrator'.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 3:14 PM