none
Discrepancy between Offsite Ready Status, Tape Management report and tape contents RRS feed

• Question

• I am getting three conflicting (as far as I'm concerned) pieces of information from Offsite Ready Status, Tape Management report and tape contents.

Tape Management report is not showing that the tapes need to come out, however in the Management > Libraries view the tapes are marked as Offsite ready.  However, if I view the tape contents all of the items have expired.  (Some of the tapes only have items that expired over two weeks ago!)

As far as I'm concerned the tapes should be marked as Expired, not offsite ready, and I guess that might be what the Tape Management report is getting at.  If I try to mark the tape as free I am told I cannot as it is part of a protection group.  The same happens if I try to erase it.

Alex

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 12:50 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What version of DPM are we talking about ?

If DPM 2012, we have a fix in update rollup-3.

Update Rollup 3 for System Center Data Protection Manager 2012 (KB2751230)

Issue 1
    After you upgrade System Center Data Protection Manager 2010 to System Center Data Protection Manager 2012, the tape management report does not display overdue tapes.

Also be aware of this issue/ fix if you install DPM 2012 UR3.

The Data Protection Manager database grows and the console crashes after installing Update Rollup 3
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2809773

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 12:02 AM
  • Hi Mike,

Thanks for your response.

We are running 2012 with SP1 and Rollup 1 V2 (Build 4.1.3333.0)

Alex

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 1:52 PM
  • Hi,

<snip>
    Some of the tapes only have items that expired over two weeks ago!)
    >snip<

That can happen if you are doing Full+incremental tape backups and the next Full backup fails.  Under that condition, we cannot expire the first tape because all the subsequent incremental backup still depend on the only good Full backup on the older tape.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 4:53 PM
  • Ah, perhaps that is it!  I hadn't considered that.

It is still a little misleading that the two views display that situation in different ways though.  Surely the the tape management report should request that the taps be removed and only mark them as over due once they are not needed at all (either directly, or as a requirement of an incremental backup)?

Alex

Thursday, March 21, 2013 8:27 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, I agree, if the tape in the library shows offsite ready, then the tape management report should reflect the same.

Thursday, March 21, 2013 2:38 PM