"We couldn't install Windows 8.1 Preview. We've set your PC back to the way it was"

Question

• Sony Vaio VGN-FW390 running Win 8 Pro, no external devices, only MS startup processes, tried both MSDN (yesterday) and consumer (today) ISO installs for Win 8.1 x64. Goes through entire, lengthy install process all the way to the end, then encounters an error and proceeds to reinstall my original Win 8 version. Upon rebooting, error window states "We couldn't install Windows 8.1 Preview. We've set up your PC back to the way it was before you started installing Windows 8.1 Preview. 0x101-0x4000D

Any suggestions?

UPDATE 6-28-13: Got it to install. Turned off Win Defender. Selected Save system settings only, not windows settings etc. This did the trick. However, be warned that this not only uninstalls all the Win8 (Metro) apps, but also all your other Desktop apps.
    • Edited by birusan Friday, June 28, 2013 7:21 PM
    Thursday, June 27, 2013 7:19 PM

All replies

• Same issue but with a Samsung Laptop running Win 8 Pro. Nothing abnormal with the laptop, no external devices, etc. Got error 0xC190010-0x4000D - reverted back to Windows 8.

Thoughts?

Thursday, June 27, 2013 8:15 PM
  • Same issue.  Desktop, Asus P9X79 Deluxe MB, Asus GTX 680 Nvidia Graphics card, 64GB RAM, Win 8 Pro x64.

Error 0x101-0x40017

Thursday, June 27, 2013 8:45 PM
  • Same issue here on Asus F5VL laptop, Win 8 Pro x64. Error code: 0xC1900101-0x20017
    Thursday, June 27, 2013 9:48 PM
  • Same thing, but different error.

Setup blue-screened with KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED in aksdf.sys.  After restarting machine, it reverted with this error: 0xC1900101 - 0x4000D.

Looked up aksdf.sys and it's part of the video driver.  ATI HD 5800, Driver ver. 13.4

Install from store, not ISO.

• Edited by GPF Friday, June 28, 2013 1:08 AM additional information
    Friday, June 28, 2013 1:08 AM
  • Are you trying this on a production machine or virtual? In mine, it freezes the installation when trying to configure devices, on 2%. I'll try this on a virtual machine now using Hyper-V.
    Friday, June 28, 2013 1:44 PM
  • Production machine. Does get through configuring all devices.
    Friday, June 28, 2013 5:20 PM
  • Same basic issue, although a slightly different error message (same as bobstaggers). 

I have an Asus UX31 running a fully updated version of Win8 Pro x64.  The Win8.1 ISO installer was downloaded from Technet and mounted using DaemonTools.  I selected "Keep Windows settings, person files, and apps".  Setup process runs, computer restarts several times, I get the picture of the fish on the screen, it finishes "Applying PC settings".  But then a messages flashes up and disappears saying something about a problem, the PC reboots and message about trying to recover installation appears, then it reboots again and says "Restoring your previous version of Windows..."  Upon finally rebooting to Win8, I get the error message: "We couldn't install Windows 8.1 Preview. We've set up your PC back to the way it was right before you started installing Windows 8.1 Preview.   0x101 - 0x40017"  I tried running setup again after disabling Windows Defender real-time monitoring, but the result was the same. 

<Sigh> 

Another smooth upgrade process from MSFT...

Saturday, June 29, 2013 3:49 AM
  • Did you try it just saving the personal files, but NOT the stings or apps? That's what finally worked for me.
    Saturday, June 29, 2013 4:03 AM
  • I had the same error:"Setup blue-screened with KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED in aksdf.sys.  After restarting machine, it reverted with this error: 0xC1900101 - 0x4000D"

I had deleted files started from ak*.sys and file hardlock.sys from windows driver directory. All this files are from SafeNet company.

After that I had gotten correct install.

• Edited by Alekkk Saturday, June 29, 2013 2:38 PM accurate definition
    Saturday, June 29, 2013 8:28 AM
  • Did you try it just saving the personal files, but NOT the stings or apps? That's what finally worked for me.

I didn't try this.  If I have to start over with every app and system setting, then the upgrade to 8.1 isn't worth it for me.  The time investment is just too big. 
    Saturday, June 29, 2013 1:22 PM
  • I had deleted files started from ak*.sys and file hardlock.sys from windows driver directory. All this files are from SafeNet company.
    I searched for those files in my Windows directory (and subdirectories), but they were not there on my machine.
    Saturday, June 29, 2013 1:25 PM
  • Same error 

0x101-0x40017

Asus crosshair formula V

nvidia 66o ti gtx

8gb ram

win 8 pro 64x

Monday, July 1, 2013 4:24 PM
  • Same issue.  Desktop, Asus P9X79 Deluxe MB, Asus GTX 680 Nvidia Graphics card, 64GB RAM, Win 8 Pro x64.

Error 0x101-0x40017

Still won't install.  Got IRQL_not_less_or_equal error,  minidump shows caused by ntoskrnl.exe. 

Devices get to 100%, win settings get to about 76% than restarts and error occurs.

Monday, July 1, 2013 4:59 PM
  • Got IRQL_not_less_or_equal error

Which suggests that there is a problem device involved.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, July 1, 2013 11:44 PM
  • does it delete all your files?
    Wednesday, July 3, 2013 11:51 PM
  • My installs go through all the motions and after reboot into W8.1, I get a light bsod asking to choose keyboard layout.  That's fine - however there is no response from keyboard or mouse, either wired or wireless.  Not good enough at all.  This happens from a Win7 or Win8 base start.
    Thursday, July 4, 2013 5:05 PM
  • Only way I could finally install was saving only personal files.  Any other method failed.
    Sunday, July 7, 2013 5:36 PM
  • My installs go through all the motions and after reboot into W8.1, I get a light bsod asking to choose keyboard layout.  That's fine - however there is no response from keyboard or mouse, either wired or wireless.  Not good enough at all.  This happens from a Win7 or Win8 base start.

Hi,

i get this exact same error problem. i have a Dell Mini Pc. i installed the win 8.1 Driver update for my Ati Catalysis Control Panel. but that did not solve the problem.. Since i can not continue i have to power off my Pc and when my Dell Mini powers back on it asks me to log in before saying that there was a problem and windows is reinstalling version 8. 

My other full sized Dell installed ok after i updated a few drivers that were having problems.

john

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 4:43 PM
  • from listening to podcasts on Windows 8.1. It looks like we can not install Win 8.1 on a machine that was upgraded keeping all programs and settings. the difference between my two dell PCs is that the bigger Dell PC i installed Win 8 on a dfferent Partition ecentially setting up a fresh install which made me install all my app over again. 

the question is if i want to install win 8.1 on my second Dell Mini. i am not looking forward to reinstalling all my apps.

John

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 7:49 PM
  • Hello,

If you are hitting this issue 0xC1900101, I would like to see all files\logs under c:\Windows\panther folder and subfolders under that location.

If you can make those logs available for download and post the link that would be great.

Thanks

Darrell Gorter

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en

• Proposed as answer by Andre.Ziegler Thursday, July 11, 2013 5:10 AM
    Wednesday, July 10, 2013 11:47 PM
  • It looks like we can not install Win 8.1 on a machine that was upgraded keeping all programs and settings.

That is an interesting find!  That is exactly my situation.  My Asus Ux31 shipped with Win7 (my recollection is that it shipped with Pro, which I upgraded to Ultimate).  I then upgraded it to Win8 last summer, retaining programs/settings.  Still a big miss for Microsoft, but at least this would narrow & define the issue. 
    Thursday, July 11, 2013 12:05 PM
  • If you are hitting this issue 0xC1900101, I would like to see all files\logs under c:\Windows\panther folder and subfolders under that location.

If you can make those logs available for download and post the link that would be great.

Darrell - I have created an archive of that directory from the affected PC.  You can download it here.  Let me know when you have grabbed it so I can take the link down.  Thanks, Gurs
    Thursday, July 11, 2013 12:17 PM
  • Hello Gurs,

Downloaded your files, thanks

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en

Thursday, July 11, 2013 4:42 PM
  • Same error but with error code 0x101-0x40017. Couldn't install on Dell Inspiron 5110 with Windows 8 Pro 64bit

Sunday, July 14, 2013 4:54 AM
  • If you are hitting this issue 0xC1900101, I would like to see all files\logs under c:\Windows\panther folder and subfolders under that location.

• Proposed as answer by Andre.Ziegler Monday, July 15, 2013 7:05 PM
    Monday, July 15, 2013 4:50 PM
  • The problem with this is that a clean install is all well and good and works, however on re-installing the Office 2010 Professional, the key is not accepted. 

It is the same machine - nothing except the OS has changed.  I'm not going down the Office 2013 or Office 365 subscription route; there is no requirement.

Thursday, July 18, 2013 5:46 PM
  • Was there ever a solution found for these users?

I am having the same symptoms with the same 0x101 - 0x40017 error and rollback reported when trying to upgrade from Win8 RTM to Win8.1 RTM.
    Wednesday, September 11, 2013 11:16 PM
  • I had this problem when I was upgrading Win8 virtual machine. The problem was startup RAM was not enough. Setting RAM to 2GB solved this problem.
    Wednesday, September 18, 2013 2:34 PM