Fail to start a communication from Skype for business online to on-premises RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I got a problem between Skype for business online and on-premises.

I have two separate Skype for business environments: online and on-premises. They have different domain. Account in both environment can communicate as normal from 2016.

Start from this year, online user cannot get on-premises user's presence status correctly and the status always show as 'Offline'. In this case online user cannot send a IM to on-premises user unless on-premises user initial the dialog. (On-premises user can get online user's presence status correctly.) This issue do not affect the communication on Skype meeting / Meet now.

I have run the test on Microsoft Remote connectivity Analyzer and all success with no error. On on-premises, EnablePrivacyMode set to false and Sip federation provider is enabled for sipfed.online.lync.com.

Any idea why on-premises user's status become 'Offline'? Is it related to any server security patch on 2017 / 2018 or firewall setting? Please advise.

Many Thanks!

Duty

Tuesday, June 19, 2018 9:20 AM

Answers

• Hi  Dutyt,

“Our S4B is not working on hybrid mode but we have verified the domain on Office 365”

Please try to close the verified the on-premise domain on Office 365

All Skype for business related DNS entry pointed to on-premise server. Will it cause the problem?

Nope,it is normal

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, July 2, 2018 8:41 AM

All replies

• How are your public DNS records configured?

Please “Vote As Helpful” and/or “Mark As Answer” if this post helped you.

Tuesday, June 19, 2018 3:47 PM
  • For on-premises environment, A record sip.<domain.com>, SRV records _sipfederationtls._tcp.<domain.com> and _sip.tls.<domain.com> configured on public DNS since 2016.

For online environment, we are using O365 domain (onmicrosoft.com) so no additional DNS records have been set.

Wednesday, June 20, 2018 1:55 AM
  • Are you telling me that you use domain.com sip address for users that are in local Skype for Business, but online users using domain.onmicrosoft.com sip address?

Please “Vote As Helpful” and/or “Mark As Answer” if this post helped you.

Wednesday, June 20, 2018 1:57 AM
  • Similar.

let's say my local domain is "abc.com" and online user using "def.onmicrosoft.com"

Wednesday, June 20, 2018 6:58 AM
  • Hi Dutyt,

Please update your SFB client to the latest version firstly.

You could refer to this link,to troubleshot the SFB online cannot IM to premise server

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3124484/skype-for-business-online-users-in-an-office-365-domain-can-t-im-or-de

If you federate with other domain ,please refer to the configuration link.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/skypeforbusiness/skype-for-business-hybrid-solutions/deploy-hybrid-connectivity/configure-federation-with-skype-for-business-online

You could collect the SFB client log,and send it here.

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, June 20, 2018 10:07 AM
  • Hi,

Are there any update for this issue, if the reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer, it will help others who has similar issue.

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Thursday, June 28, 2018 10:08 AM
  • My case is a bit different with the scenario with the first link:

-You have a hybrid deployment of on-premises Skype for Business Server or Lync Server 2013.
    No. We do not have a hybrid deployment on S4B
    -The contoso.com domain is confirmed in the on-premises topology and verified by the Office 365 organization.
    Yes. our domain had been verified on Office 365 but we have no enable or config Skype for business service on it.
    -The my.contoso.com domain is verified by the Office 365 organization.
    No.
    -Federation DNS records for contoso.com point to the on-premises edge server.
    Yes.
    -Federation DNS records for my.contoso.com point to Office 365.

No.

Our S4B is not working on hybrid mode but we have verified the domain on Office 365. All Skype for business related DNS entry pointed to on-premise server. Will it cause the problem?

Friday, June 29, 2018 6:43 AM
  • Hi  Dutyt,

“Our S4B is not working on hybrid mode but we have verified the domain on Office 365”

Please try to close the verified the on-premise domain on Office 365

All Skype for business related DNS entry pointed to on-premise server. Will it cause the problem?

Nope,it is normal

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Monday, July 2, 2018 8:41 AM
  • Hi,

Are there any update for this issue, if the reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer, it will help others who has similar issue.

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Friday, July 6, 2018 8:54 AM