none
Default Printers Keeps Changing

Question

• Good Afternoon,

We are experience some printer issue’s. Every time a user logs in the default printer changes. The user sets the default printer again but when the user logs off and on again the default printer has changed again. The printer where it is changing to isn’t the same printer every time.

Specs environment listed below: Windows Server 2012R2 DC/ConnectionBroker/RDS Server

The printers are installed on the DC an Shared + list in directory. There are no policy’s that manage the printers (in the past there were print policy’s). There is an login script that connects the printers to the user session. The User Profiles are stored in User Profile Disks.

The users using Thin Clients and Desktops (Windows 7 & 10) and connecting to the RDS Servers. In the Client Settings on the connectionbroker are the “Allow client printer redirection” and “Use the Remote Desktop Easy Print print driver first” options enabled.

I’ve already tried to manage the printer through GPO’s and registry such as HKEY_USERS\USERS_SID-HERE\Printers\Connections but all this doesn’t solve the problem. Even with a Print GPO sometimes the user doesn’t seeing any printer at all.

Personally I think when a user is logging on, the session wants to set the last know default printer as default printer, but on that time the printers aren’t yet connected to the session, therefore it sets the first available printer as default printer.

I don’t know if this is possible. But it sounds logical to me.

I’ve created a script that can be used as login script and has an delay of 10 seconds before it sets an printer as default printer. This is working but it doesn’t solve the original problem.

If anyone has an solution for the above problem I would like to hear that.

Sincerely, Niels

Wednesday, February 7, 2018 12:43 PM

All replies

• Hi Niels,
    You could try to deploy the printer via group policy preference, in the GPO, you could directly set up the printer as default, please see:

Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 8, 2018 6:12 AM
  • Hi Wendy,

Thanks for your answer. I've already tried this option, the problem is one day this is working fine, when the user is logged on the printer is set as default. The next day he is logging on the printer is missing. The day after that the printer is back and set as default, it's a strange problem.

Friday, February 9, 2018 10:48 AM
  • Hi,
    Please also try enabling "Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon" policy under Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\System\Logon, and then see if it works.
    Best regards, 
    Wendy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 12, 2018 1:58 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking how the issue is going, if you still have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

And if the replies as above are helpful, we would appreciate you to mark them as answers, and if you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be greatly helpful to others who have the same question.

Appreciate for your feedback.

Best regards,

Wendy

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 6:12 AM
  • Hi,

I've also tried enabling the  "Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon" policy but also this wouldn't work. 

Normaly with other setups this is working fine but on this environment it wouldn't work for any reason.

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 7:49 AM
  • Hello Wendy and thank you for the suggestion.
    We have users and many of the default printers they want are different.  Gosh knows the user needs what they need.  (Starting to wish I kept my trustworthy .vbs files to map printers, it never, ever failed and the users decision always wins).

In this case, they set the default printer like they always do, but they keep changing randomly throughout the day?  (routine GPUpdates changing it back???)

Would I have to create a mapped printers GP for each group? 

Is there a setting to let the user decide, like they always have?  I don't anything good about deploying printers this way, with GPP if it's going to be a daily fuss to pick a printer every time after it prints to the wrong place.

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 9:50 PM
  • rem disable Windows handling default printer (last printer used)

reg load hku\ntuser.dat c:\users\default\ntuser.dat
    reg add "hku\ntuser.dat\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows" /v LegacyDefaultPrinterMode /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
    reg unload hku\ntuser.dat

Group Policy:

User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Control Panel > Printers >
      Turn off Windows default printer management

• Edited by JS2010 Thursday, May 17, 2018 8:53 PM
    Thursday, May 17, 2018 7:42 PM