Deploying 7 SP1 x64 to NVMe drives resulting in BSOD 0x7B RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, so a little bit about my setup. I'm using MDT 2013 U1. I have a wim of Windows 7 Pro 64 SP1.

I am attempting to deploy to a Dell Precision 7710. This device uses 2 M.2 PCIe SSD's in RAID1 (using Intel RST).

I have added Hotfix 3366972 by injecting it into the wim using dism (using this https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2990941 method). I did NOT inject the hotfix into the boot wim, because it is WinPE 10, so should be supported natively (my Windows 10 installation disk can install to the drives without issue). I have also injected the Intel RST f6flpy-x86 (downloaded from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25165/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-RAID-Driver ) drivers into the boot wim, and have the f6flpy-x64 drivers injected into the installation.

I can boot into the MDT boot wim just fine. I select my task sequence, it deploys, and reboots. Upon booting Windows, the PC has a BSOD. When attempting to boot into safe mode, it halts at DISK.SYS before BSOD'ing. Obviously it doesn't like that.

I have attempted booting into an installation disk and removing DISK.SYS from C:\Windows\Drivers or C:\Windows\System32\Drivers, I cannot remember which at the moment. I didn't expect that to work because it was specifically disk.sys, and it didn't, but I figured I'd tried because I've had success removing other faulty drivers before. I have also tried reinstalling the RST drivers by booting into an installation disk and using dism to inject the drivers directly, with no effect. As a last ditch effort, I even tried running a chkdsk /f, which didn't work.

I have never had to deploy to NVMe disks before, and I am truly stumped. I know my org's switching to Windows 10 come March / April, but we haven't converted yet, and our images aren't "Golden" yet, so my manager isn't allowing us to just image this one with 10 early.

Anybody with any ideas?

Thursday, January 7, 2016 7:14 PM

Answers

• Does the image which you apply have current updates (and possibly the NVMe hotfix) installed?
    This could make it a lot easier to sort things out, at least for testing.
    Could the following hotfix apply, too? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/982018

Are you sure that the drive works correctly in the system with the OS that you install?
    There are still a lot if BIOS issues with NVMe drives, even on brand new systems.
    My H170 Gigabyte board has a beta bios for NVMe fixes for example.
    (not using it either yet though, waiting for some other vendors to release their products)

• Edited by oriooff Thursday, January 7, 2016 10:07 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Ty Glander Thursday, January 7, 2016 10:13 PM
    • Marked as answer by Joshua Parnell Tuesday, January 12, 2016 1:11 PM
    Thursday, January 7, 2016 10:04 PM
  • Just saw that in an Intel doc that UEFI is required to boot from NVMe SSD....I was using BIO.  I will try UEFI setup.
    • Marked as answer by Joshua Parnell Tuesday, January 12, 2016 1:10 PM
    Sunday, January 10, 2016 11:56 PM
  • By enable EFI and copying the TS.xml from my Win7x64 Standard to a new TS, and changing the partitioning to conform to EFI, and laying down the wim that had the hotfix injected via DISM, I was able to successfully lay it down. The computer randomly rebooted in the middle of the TS for whatever reason, but I'm happy enough for now.
    Tuesday, January 12, 2016 1:10 PM
  • I had the same issue with a Dell Precision 7510. After a call with the Dell Pro Support, they send me a file (Win7_Boot) witch includes a Samsung NVMe SSD driver, USB3 and Intel RST. For me the Samsung Driver was the missing part. I added it to Win PE Drivers and to the Precision 7510 Driver folder in my Deployment Share.

It was necessary  to install with SATA Mode to AHCI and BIOS in Legacy Mode (UEFI doesn´t find the OS Partition)

My first installation still crashed and after i removed all other storage drivers from my Precision 7510 Driver folder my Deployment finally was successful. 

I hope this helps.

Greetz

• Marked as answer by Ty Glander Thursday, January 14, 2016 2:38 AM
    Tuesday, January 12, 2016 1:46 PM

All replies

• Some driver is missing from the boot driver chain. 7b is inaccessible boot device. Are you using Johan's Total control: http://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/325/MDT-2013-Lite-Touch-Driver-Management

Logs are very important. https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/ Mention any customizations you have made.

Thursday, January 7, 2016 7:55 PM
  • Yes, that is our method of driver injection.

Thursday, January 7, 2016 8:57 PM
  • Setupapi.DEV.log may give some clue. Beyond that I don't have any experience with M2 drives.

Logs are very important. https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/ Mention any customizations you have made.

Thursday, January 7, 2016 9:06 PM
  • Does the image which you apply have current updates (and possibly the NVMe hotfix) installed?
    This could make it a lot easier to sort things out, at least for testing.
    Could the following hotfix apply, too? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/982018

Are you sure that the drive works correctly in the system with the OS that you install?
    There are still a lot if BIOS issues with NVMe drives, even on brand new systems.
    My H170 Gigabyte board has a beta bios for NVMe fixes for example.
    (not using it either yet though, waiting for some other vendors to release their products)

• Edited by oriooff Thursday, January 7, 2016 10:07 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Ty Glander Thursday, January 7, 2016 10:13 PM
    • Marked as answer by Joshua Parnell Tuesday, January 12, 2016 1:11 PM
    Thursday, January 7, 2016 10:04 PM
  • I think Orio has the right idea.https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2990941

Thursday, January 7, 2016 10:13 PM
  • Yes, the NVMe hotfix is installed, per the original post, as well as all Windows updates that have been released up to 1/6/2016. The hotfix in KB982018 addresses sector size issues with NTFS and Advance Format Disks, which may or may not apply to M.2 disks, but from what I gather is only an issue with many small writes, and only affects performance of the writing. It should not affect whether or not the OS can boot. That being said, injecting the hotfix surely could not hurt, so I will give it a try. It's better than any ideas I currently have.

The drives are PCIe devices. The drivers installed (Intel RST) support Windows 7. Those, coupled with the NVMe hotfix, should in theory assure that the drive work correctly.

Is there a log of which drivers it is trying to load that I might be able to look at? If it's a problematic or incorrect driver (for instance, it's trying to use a standard SATA driver), I might be able to simply remove the driver from the 7710 folder in MDT and restart the process.

Thanks for the help thus far.

Friday, January 8, 2016 1:21 PM
  • Yes, that's the hotfix that I have installed already. Prior to installing this hotfix, I was getting a generic "OS Not Found" screen. I stumbled upon the NVMe fix accidentally in a Reddit comment thread, and it was like a light bulb went on over my head. Now, it starts to load Windows, but gets BSOD'ed with the driver.

Is there a log of which driver files it is trying to load that I might be able to look at? If it's a problematic or incorrect driver (for instance, it's trying to use a standard SATA driver), I might be able to simply remove the driver from the 7710 folder in MDT and restart the process.

Thanks for the help thus far.

Friday, January 8, 2016 1:25 PM
  • Thanks, I will check this
    Friday, January 8, 2016 1:25 PM
  • See my previous post for the setupapi.dev.log. also BDD.log would be interesting.

Friday, January 8, 2016 8:37 PM
  • Hi,

I'm having the same problem installing Windows 7.  I installed the OS with SCCM with Dell Enterprise drivers.  Install went flawless but would not boot only Blue Screen.

I have since tried to install via a setup disk but I cannot find a driver to recognize the  PCIe SSD.  I have attempted to inject the drives and hotfixes into wim on my setup disk but the setup never recognizes the drive to setup a primary partition.

I have attempted to inject both the DELL and Intel drivers in the PE and Windows on the wim without any luck.

Have you had any luck resolving this?

Sunday, January 10, 2016 11:44 PM
  • Just saw that in an Intel doc that UEFI is required to boot from NVMe SSD....I was using BIO.  I will try UEFI setup.
    Sunday, January 10, 2016 11:56 PM
    I'm interested in seeing what your results are. I'm building a standard USB disk off of a technet ISO with the injected hotfix and drivers now, but seeing as how you've tried that, I'm not optimistic. Let me know how the UEFI works, will you?
    Monday, January 11, 2016 3:26 PM
  • See my previous post for the setupapi.dev.log. also BDD.log would be interesting.
    BDD.log didn't report any errors. setupapi.dev.log didn't exist. There was setupapi.apps.log and another setupapi log, but they didn't provide any reason for why it might be failing. I will probably try A_C_C's suggestion of UEFI deployments.
    Monday, January 11, 2016 3:28 PM
  • By enable EFI and copying the TS.xml from my Win7x64 Standard to a new TS, and changing the partitioning to conform to EFI, and laying down the wim that had the hotfix injected via DISM, I was able to successfully lay it down. The computer randomly rebooted in the middle of the TS for whatever reason, but I'm happy enough for now.
    Tuesday, January 12, 2016 1:10 PM
  • I had the same issue with a Dell Precision 7510. After a call with the Dell Pro Support, they send me a file (Win7_Boot) witch includes a Samsung NVMe SSD driver, USB3 and Intel RST. For me the Samsung Driver was the missing part. I added it to Win PE Drivers and to the Precision 7510 Driver folder in my Deployment Share.

It was necessary  to install with SATA Mode to AHCI and BIOS in Legacy Mode (UEFI doesn´t find the OS Partition)

My first installation still crashed and after i removed all other storage drivers from my Precision 7510 Driver folder my Deployment finally was successful. 

I hope this helps.

Greetz

• Marked as answer by Ty Glander Thursday, January 14, 2016 2:38 AM
    Tuesday, January 12, 2016 1:46 PM
  • UFEI didn't work.  I tried about everything and finally gave in and called DELL.   I immediately went to the "send me the DELL recovery disk option" with the Tech as I know that if I spent and hour or two and didn't get anywhere that would be the "solution". 

I just got my hands on the "DELL Recovery media (USB Stick)" and still nothing.  It will not see the SSD.   I  will now call back and try to get this escalated.

Thursday, January 14, 2016 10:13 PM
  • We looked up the hardware ID of the drive and found this driver: http://ssd.samsungsemi.com/ecomobile/ssd/update15.do?fname=/Samsung_NVMExpress_Driver_rev11.zip

We put that driver into our driver package for our 5810 (and also a 7910, actually) and that allowed both machines to image with MDT and boot successfully.

We did NOT need to build the machine in UEFI mode. Legacy mode worked fine. I don't know if our Win7 image had any NVME hotfixes. We certiainly didn't deliberatly add any.

Thursday, January 14, 2016 10:23 PM
  • And for what its worth, Dell support was not helpful. I went back and forth via email with them for a weeks (off and on), and they never sent me the Samsung driver. And I couldn't find this driver on the driver downloads page for the 5810.
    Thursday, January 14, 2016 10:24 PM
  • I tried both UEFI and Legacy.  I injected 2 NVME hotfixes and  same Samsung driver and Intel Storage Drivers.  The one thing that is different is I had injected all the DELL Enterprise drivers and PE drivers. 

I know DELL can be a pain but I am going to give them a shot.  If they are no help I will try to create a fresh install with minimal drivers.

Thanks for the info.

Thursday, January 14, 2016 10:38 PM
  • Actually, change of plan. I am going to see about adding the Samsung driver to my SCCM deployment first. I will let you know if this works shortly.
    Thursday, January 14, 2016 10:48 PM
  • Update

DELL called in the middle of working on SCCM.  We reset BIOS to ACHI and disabled the SATA drives.  We screwed around with recover disk they sent but now luck.  DELL setup a new drive with OS to be sent. 

Since then I created a new USB install based on the DELL provided recovery USB and injected the SSD drivers and install went fine. 

I'm still working on SCCM, waiting for new OS image to deploy to distribution point then will try again with SCCM.

Friday, January 15, 2016 3:02 AM
  • Got SCCM working had to include the MS patch.  Also one of the NVIDA drives caused a BSOD.  I just disabled them from my driver package and install completed.

• Proposed as answer by Todd A. Martin Wednesday, March 29, 2017 7:01 PM
    Friday, January 15, 2016 4:38 AM
  • Having all the same issues trying to image a Precision 7510 with NVMe drive.  Blue screens after image is applied.

We are imaging with MDT 2013 Update Windows 7 x64 Enterprise.  We use the total control method with drivers.  I'm reading conflicting information in this thread, should we boot Legacy or UEFI secure boot enabled?  I downloaded the NVMe hotfix but unsure how to install it. Any help to get this going would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Chris

Monday, January 25, 2016 12:55 PM
  • Hi,

I'm using SCCM.  UEFI was not required.  I injected extracted  NVMe driver into image.

Monday, January 25, 2016 4:10 PM
  • Hi,

I'm using SCCM.  UEFI was not required.  I injected extracted  NVMe driver into image.

How did you do this exactly.  I've downloaded the driver and tried to extract with 7-zip but nothing imports into the driver folder.  Are you doing something different?

Thanks

Chris

Monday, January 25, 2016 8:09 PM
  • Use dism to inject the drivers,  exact syntax may vary depending on software version

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825070.aspx

You can get the extracted inf for the Samsung NVMe here

http://www.win-raid.com/t29f25-Recommended-AHCI-RAID-and-NVMe-Drivers.html

• Proposed as answer by chrisgazpacho Tuesday, January 26, 2016 1:18 PM
    Monday, January 25, 2016 8:18 PM
  • Use dism to inject the drivers,  exact syntax may vary depending on software version

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825070.aspx

You can get the extracted inf for the Samsung NVMe here

http://www.win-raid.com/t29f25-Recommended-AHCI-RAID-and-NVMe-Drivers.html

That did it, thanks!
    Tuesday, January 26, 2016 1:18 PM
  • Having the same issue with Dell E7450\E7250 system with "sk hynix sc210" SSD drives.

Have tired all the above like the original poster (Latest Drivers, Hotfix in Reference image, etc).

Is anyone aware of "Sk Hynix" NVMe available drivers ?

Wasn't anything obvious on their site.

Also, I have UEFI enabled, UEFI network stack enabled & SafeBoot disabled.
    I have tried both with Legacy Boot Option enabled and disabled.

Disabled I get error
    Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.
    File: \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD

Enabled I get BSOD:
    "intelpcc.sys" - 0x07E

Thanks for any help

thanks

• Edited by AvcRomeo Friday, February 5, 2016 11:56 PM
    Friday, February 5, 2016 10:05 PM
  • What is the hardware id of your SSD?
    Tuesday, February 9, 2016 7:00 PM
  • Drive: SK hynix SC210 mSAA 

Hardware ID: SCSI\Disk______SKhynix_SC210_mSAA2000

Thanks for any assistance.

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 8:33 PM
  • This is the only thing I can really find. Sucks that SK Hynix isn't really giving any info.

http://driverlibs.com/download/SK-hynix-SC210-mSAA-SCSI-Disk-Device

CAUTION! USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! 3RD PARTY SITES CAN BE DANGEROUS.

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 9:05 PM
  • Thanks for checking.

That looks like the Windows Built in driver. Numbers match.

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 9:31 PM
  • This worked for me, thank you for this!

I was having the same BSOD issue as others using MDT 2013 Update 1 trying to apply Windows 7 Enterprise x64 to a Precision 5510 with a M.2 drive. Injected this NVMe driver into the WinPE boot image and also the Precision 5510 driver folder (using Total Control driver method). 

• Proposed as answer by MirkoParra Tuesday, August 2, 2016 11:40 AM
    Monday, March 28, 2016 3:54 PM
  • Just for add my experience in this thread and how i solved it.

Hp Z640 with a Samsung NVME Pci card with Windows 7 x64

Downloaded and imported driver package from Hp site. Removed unnecessary drivers, as usual.

Added the driver package in my TS (note that in thist TS  there is an HP z640 with Intel Raid mode, and is working like a charm..).

No problem booting with my Win 10 pe boot image.

Apply OS phase is ok. Rebooting after installing drivers, i had a BSOD 0x0000007b.

My solution: downloaded and added to my driver package the Samsung NVME driver (x64 only) posted above.

Hope this helps other people.

Tuesday, August 2, 2016 11:51 AM
  • Just for add my experience in this thread and how i solved it.

Hp Z640 with a Samsung NVME Pci card with Windows 7 x64

Downloaded and imported driver package from Hp site. Removed unnecessary drivers, as usual.

Added the driver package in my TS (note that in thist TS  there is an HP z640 with Intel Raid mode, and is working like a charm..).

No problem booting with my Win 10 pe boot image.

Apply OS phase is ok. Rebooting after installing drivers, i had a BSOD 0x0000007b.

My solution: downloaded and added to my driver package the Samsung NVME driver (x64 only) posted above.

Hope this helps other people.

Worked for me as well. I had a Optiplex 7040 with the NVMe SSD and spent weeks trying to figure it out. Imported the Samsung NVMe Drivers(64bit) and worked like a charm. 

Thanks a BUNCH!

Tuesday, September 13, 2016 2:16 PM