Internet Explorer 10 New Tab problem RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, I’am domain admin and recently, I have created User IE 10 GPP (User Configuration > Preferences > Control Panel Settings > Internet Settings (Internet Explorer 10)) and general IE GPO. There is small number of workstations with IE 10 installed, and there I have one big problem: IE 10 open target="_blank" links in new window instead of new tab!

In User GPP for IE 10 (xml: max="99.0.0.0" min="10.0.0.0"), which is created under windows server 2012, I have this settings:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=8D315521CDDFD66F!1130 (1.png)

No GPO is defined for tab behavior.

That GPP is successfully applied to the workstations with IE 10.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=8D315521CDDFD66F!1130 (2.png)

But, then the problem starts:

if user IS member local or domain admin group, IE 10 open links with target="_blank" in new tab.

If user IS NOT member of local or domain admin group, every target="_blank" is open in new window. Even CTRL + mouse click open normal links in new window, instead of new tab. Same as if I right click link and select "open in new tab" - new windows again!

I did reset IE settings (Internet Options > Advanced > Reset) couple of times on many workstations, it didnt help.

Please help me, that problem is so irritating, and (non admin) users are angry, and after so many hours spend trying to solve the problem, nothing worked out.

Friday, July 12, 2013 5:37 PM

Answers

All replies

• I forgot, workstations OS is Win7 x64 SP1 with latest windows updates applied.

Friday, July 12, 2013 9:02 PM
  • I'm having exactly the same problem.  Win7 sp1 x64. 
    Friday, July 12, 2013 9:54 PM
  • Ok, I’am domain admin and recently, I have created (under Windows Server 2012):

1. User IE 10 GPP (User Configuration > Preferences > Control Panel Settings > Internet Settings (Internet Explorer 10))

2. General IE GPO.

There is small number of Windows 7 SP1 x64 workstations with IE 10 installed, and there I have one big problem: IE 10 open target="_blank" links in new window instead of new tab!

In User GPP for IE 10, I have this settings:

That GPP is successfully applied to the (Windows 7 SP1 x64 (with latest windows updates applied)) workstations with IE 10.

if user IS member local or domain admin group, IE 10 open links with target="_blank" in new tab.

If user IS NOT member of local or domain admin group, every target="_blank" is open in new window. Even CTRL + mouse click open normal links in new window, instead of new tab. Same as if I right click link and select "open in new tab" - new windows again!

I did reset IE settings (Internet Options > Advanced > Reset) couple of times on many workstations, it didnt help.

example:

Visit W3Schools hyperlink

http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tryit.asp?filename=tryhtml_a_target

• my NON (DOMAIN/LOCAL) ADMIN account – IE 10 open hyperlink in new window.
    • my DOMAIN ADMIN account – IE 10 open hyperlink in new tab.

Please help me, tnx!

• Merged by Cloud_TS Wednesday, September 4, 2013 1:50 AM same post
    Thursday, July 25, 2013 8:50 AM
  • There is small number of Windows 7 SP1 x64 workstations with IE 10 installed, and there I have one big problem: IE 10 open target="_blank" links in new window instead of new tab!

Use the Command line to help understand why this is happening.

E.g. a WMI query done in Powershell would be:

PS C:\> Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_Process | Where-Object {$_.Name -match 'iexplore'} | ft ProcessId, CommandLine -AutoSize

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, July 25, 2013 3:20 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi ,

I notice you have posted this issue before. In order to avoid confusion and keep track of issue, I recommend to keep working with the previous thread as link below: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/058e069b-7f37-456b-a0b4-72e27f498e91/internet-explorer-10-new-tab-problem#50e885a9-a742-4984-ac65-0245ab6f7cd2

In addition, the issue seems to be related to group policy, for quick and accurate answers to your questions, it is recommended that you initial a new thread in our Group Policy forum.

Thank you for your understanding.

Tracy Cai
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, July 26, 2013 2:56 AM
  • Use the Command line to help understand why this is happening.

PS C:\> Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_Process | Where-Object {$_.Name -match 'iexplore'} | ft ProcessId, CommandLine -AutoSize

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle

Hi Robert,
    I did what you told me, and here is the result after opening “Visit W3Schools” hyperlink as:

Domain admin (link is opened in new tab):

ProcessId CommandLine
     --------- -----------
          3268 "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"
          4860 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" SCODEF:3268 CREDAT:209921 /prefetch:2
          4548 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" SCODEF:3268 CREDAT:406544 /prefetch:2

Non admin account (link is opened in new window)

ProcessId CommandLine
     --------- -----------
          4568 "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"
          3936 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" SCODEF:4568 CREDAT:209921 /prefetch:2
          4832 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" SCODEF:4568 CREDAT:668692 /prefetch:2

I did clean restart before this tests, so there isn’t any old iexplore process.
    Do you see something interesting here, I don’t understand SCODEF, CREDAT result.

Hi ,

I notice you have posted this issue before. In order to avoid confusion and keep track of issue, I recommend to keep working with the previous thread as link below: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/058e069b-7f37-456b-a0b4-72e27f498e91/internet-explorer-10-new-tab-problem#50e885a9-a742-4984-ac65-0245ab6f7cd2

In addition, the issue seems to be related to group policy, for quick and accurate answers to your questions, it is recommended that you initial a new thread in our Group Policy forum.

Tracy Cai

No one answer there anymore.
    New threads are my only hope.

Also, same problem is reported by users in non domain environment.
    Friday, July 26, 2013 8:51 AM
  • Do you see something interesting here, I don’t understand SCODEF, CREDAT result.

I don't really understand the CREDAT: parameter but FWIW I am surprised that it can be the same for two instances.  (I actually imagined it was a pseudo timestamp.)  The SCODEF: parameter is a PID for the associated IE "chrome" task.  It is now normal to have the "chrome" task launch as a 64-bit task while the "tab" tasks launch as 32-bit ones.  I was wondering if there were additional command-line switches on the "chrome" tasks because that would explain why you would see separate windows.  Perhaps seeing identical CREDAT: parameters would be enough to do the same?

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, July 26, 2013 8:12 PM
    Answerer
  • Internet Options>General tab, Tabs settings

select "Always open popups in a New Window"

Rob^_^

Saturday, July 27, 2013 5:14 AM
  • Have either of you, Robert or Dr BendIE, tried the simplified experiment I posted in this other thread on the same subject?  For me, it confirms this problem. 

It looked to me like you used MOTW to solve it.  E.g. a switch of zones may have been accounting for the new window versus new tab symptom.  Originally I think IE7 did that and I think that mixing HTTPS and HTTP also once had a related effect.  FWIW most of the time I would be oblivious of these things because I tend to use Middle-click or Shift-click or even direct dragging to indicate my expectation of how I want a link treated.  I.e., I imagine that I could have encountered more examples by just simple clicking instead.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, July 27, 2013 9:06 PM
    Answerer
  • Did you just dodge my question?

Tried to.   <eg>

Your reference to MOTW is interesting.

only explains the one added comment <!-- saved from url [...] -->. 

It does not explain the duplicated DOCTYPE, or the duplicated META IE=10.000.  Especially, it doe not explain how the magic answer to the problem was to re-use any downloaded html file as a "container", by deleting its content and then editing our own html into it.

That's all I had noticed but it would be enough to change zones.

please try the experiment.

Does this launch a new IE window for you?  Instead of a new tab?

No.  But I may have messed up by not being sure where my Desktop is.  E.g. it may be under a different profile.  W8 seems to put some stuff on my owner's profile and some stuff on my standard account's profile.  It's hard to understand what all is going on with it.  All I know is that MS continue to prove that (they think) there is security in obscurity.  (For me, as an end user, owner/operator, it is just frustration and irritation.)

identical file online.

How do you explain that this is totally different from [2] above?  The files are identical.

They are not identical because one came from a potentially untrusted source--the Internet.  Hence the downloaded file is marked Blocked in Properties, until I Unblock it.  Specifically it has a AlternateDataStream associated with it

26 CI Test.htm:Zone.Identifier:$DATA

(as seen by  dir/r  in a cmd window)

which contains:  --  WTH?  PSCX have dropped Get-AlternateDataStream cmdlet?  How do I do get at the ADS content now?

use notepad to delete the entire content from that downloaded file [3].  Save it to your desktop as a 0 byte size file.

But without that "container", creating a fresh html file via notepad as in [2] does not work correctly.

How do you explain this?

I suspect it will remain "Blocked" even though it was modified.  Then whatever effect is causing you to have local files launch in their own window still can not happen because such code will be opened in a different zone.  E.g. do you say that local files are in your Trusted zone?  Obviously there is something different that we have which is preventing me from seeing your desired effect with purely local files.  I'm not even sure if it has to be this particular ADS name to be blocked.  So that could give you two workarounds both of which would put local files into a different zone.

HTH

Robert
    ---

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, July 28, 2013 12:33 PM
    Answerer
  • Internet Options>General tab, Tabs settings

select "Always open popups in a New Window"

Rob^_^

Joke post, right?

I don’t want to open "popups" (links) in new window, I want to open links in new tab (for non admin users).

Please remember, I don’t have settings (open in new tab) problems as long as user is member of domain/local admin group!

Sunday, July 28, 2013 12:50 PM
  • Miroslav, I tried the experiment 1-4 above using the w3schools.com example in your OP.  The same problem happened.  The target="_blank" launched a new window, instead of a new tab.

tnx, I know there is a (new window/tab) problem, and everyone here acts like there isnt!

I am really disappointed.

Sunday, July 28, 2013 12:55 PM
  • WTH?  PSCX have dropped Get-AlternateDataStream cmdlet?  How do I do get at the ADS content now

http://rkeithhill.wordpress.com/2012/03/04/powershell-v3-betabetter-ntfs-alternate-data-stream-handling/

So

...\Desktop> gc 'CI Test.htm' -stream Zone.Identifier
    [ZoneTransfer]
    ZoneId=3

Neat!  Thanks for making me find this.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, July 28, 2013 4:02 PM
    Answerer
  • Ok, I’am domain admin and recently, I have created (under Windows Server 2012):

1. User IE 10 GPP (User Configuration > Preferences > Control Panel Settings > Internet Settings (Internet Explorer 10))

2. General IE GPO.

There is small number of Windows 7 SP1 x64 workstations with IE 10 installed, and there I have one big problem: IE 10 open target="_blank" links in new window instead of new tab!

That GPP is successfully applied to the (Windows 7 SP1 x64 (with latest windows updates applied)) workstations with IE 10.

example:

Robert Aldwinckle

Hi Robert,
    I did what you told me, and here is the result after opening “Visit W3Schools” hyperlink as:

ProcessId CommandLine
     --------- -----------
          4860 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" SCODEF:3268 CREDAT:209921 /prefetch:2
          4548 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" SCODEF:3268 CREDAT:406544 /prefetch:2

ProcessId CommandLine
     --------- -----------
          3936 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" SCODEF:4568 CREDAT:209921 /prefetch:2
          4832 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" SCODEF:4568 CREDAT:668692 /prefetch:2

• Edited by Miroslav Katić Friday, August 2, 2013 9:39 PM typo
    • Merged by Cloud_TS Wednesday, September 4, 2013 1:50 AM same post
    Friday, August 2, 2013 9:38 PM
  • Hi ,

In addition, the issue seems to be related to group policy, for quick and accurate answers to your questions, it is recommended that you initial a new thread in our  Group Policy forum.

Regards,

Kelvin_Hsu

• Edited by kelvin_hsu Wednesday, August 7, 2013 8:39 AM wrong
    • Edited by Cloud_TS Tuesday, August 13, 2013 12:19 PM edit
    Monday, August 5, 2013 12:01 PM
  • Hope this helps.

No.

Wednesday, August 7, 2013 7:28 AM
  • I notice you have posted this issue before. In order to avoid confusion and keep track of issue, I recommend to keep working with the previous thread

@ Kelvin

In fact, there is more than just that one going on.  Here is where we left the most significant one

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/a3582d02-d4ba-42ee-ae9a-8a424fc81522/internet-explorer-10-new-tab-problem#574ad77a-67a5-4d84-891e-b2cd4b7128ca

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, August 7, 2013 5:00 PM
    Answerer

2. General IE GPO.

example:

Robert Aldwinckle

Hi Robert,

ProcessId CommandLine
     --------- -----------

ProcessId CommandLine
     --------- -----------

• Merged by Cloud_TS Wednesday, September 4, 2013 1:36 AM same issue
    Tuesday, August 27, 2013 7:21 AM
  • Hi,

Would you please test in following situation for non local or domain admin member?

Fix site display problems with Compatibility View

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/use-compatibility-view#ie=ie-10

Fix common IE problems: Update your docmode for web standards

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/hh779632.aspx

Please let me know the results and keep post.

Kate Li

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 11:10 AM
  • @ Kate

Be aware of all the other threads about this issue which this poster has started.   Also, that some very significant content may have been lost in some of them as a result of the banning of one (or more) of its contributors.  I suggest merging.

C.f. (for example)

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/c7ffbaed-2402-4ce3-8213-82deae0e6469/internet-explorer-10-new-tab-problem#14d3e7bf-066f-4815-8177-b73b6c243b51

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 5:13 PM
    Answerer
  • Thursday, August 29, 2013 6:07 AM
    Answerer