Outlook 2003 online mode on Windows 7 x64 - slow receiving messages RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We are running Office 2003 Sp3 on Win7 x64 and have noticed that emails are being received on users Blackberry's much faster than in Outlook. I have seen this kind of behaviour before, but only when using Exchange Cached mode - we are using online mode, so this should be pretty instant, correct?

We are sure its a client issue and not an exchange one, since we can have the same user logged into our old Windows 2000 + Office 2003 SP3 machines at the same time and see the email appear on the Windows 2000 machine up to 2 minutes before the Windows 7 machine. As above, emails are hitting the mailbox and then shortly after, the Blackberry, so it doesnt appear to be Exchange related.

Ive checked event logs and cant see anything out of the ordinary. If I run Outlook with the RPCDIAG switch, I dont see anything in the 'Fail' column, and response times are usually sub-100.

Can anyone think of anything that might cause this, and how I'd troubleshoot?

Thanks

Thursday, September 8, 2011 10:22 AM

Answers

• Hi,

> I have seen this kind of behaviour before, but only when using Exchange Cached mode - we are using online mode, so this should be pretty instant, correct?

Cached Mode creates a local copy of the Exchange Mailbox and reduce the network traffic to the Exchange Server. So the performance will better than online mode. When you use online mode can you check the status of connection?

What's the version of Exchange server do you use?

If you use Exchange 2010 you need update to the latest hotfix which will fix this issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2009942

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Proposed as answer by Jason LJS Monday, September 19, 2011 1:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jason LJS Tuesday, September 20, 2011 12:56 AM
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 3:13 AM