PowerShell- Finding Active Directory user properties in child domains RRS feed

• Question

• Hi ,

I am new to PowerShell. In our company we have multiple child domains. Let say forest domain america.com and child domains as x.america.com, and z.america.com

How can I run a powershell cmdlet so that I can get information related to specific childdomain. For example, I want to find the active directory users properties in  z.america.com child domain.

Regards,

San

• Edited by SANCS Saturday, June 2, 2018 2:22 PM
    Saturday, June 2, 2018 10:22 AM

All replies

• You Could Use Enter-PSsesion By Powershell, But You Must Have Functional Credential in the Forest.

If You Coulden't Use Enter-PSsession cmdlet, You Must Use (Just Once) :

Set-Item WSMan:\localhost\Client\TrustedHosts -Value "*" -Force
     To Access The Powershell Of Another DC.
    • Proposed as answer by Mohsen Amiri1 Saturday, April 6, 2019 11:18 AM
    Saturday, June 2, 2018 10:40 AM
  • Hi Sancs 

If you have a domain trust between the domain you should just be able to specify a DC on the other domain using -server switch you can also specify the OU you want to search using -searchbase see below example.

Get-ADUser -Server "DC.domain.local" -SearchBase "OU=SALE,DC=Doamin,DC=Local"

If you find that my post has answered your question, please mark it as the answer. If you find my post to be helpful in anyway, please click vote as helpful.

Saturday, June 2, 2018 12:15 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Geoff.

I ultimately found the solution. Let me explain it more clearly.

We have a forest domain and multiple child domains.

Example: america.com is our forest domain and the child domains are x.america.com , y.america.com and z.america.com

I was trying to find a  user's properties in active directory  in child domain, say z.america.com. I used the following cmdlet:

Get-ADUser -Filter {Name -eq "Smith, John"} -Server abc.com -Properties *

Note: you have to find the name of the server (abc.com) of your child domain

Saturday, June 2, 2018 1:25 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Geoff.

I ultimately found the solution. Let me explain it more clearly.

We have a forest domain and multiple child domains.

Example: america.com is our forest domain and the child domains are x.america.com , y.america.com and z.america.com

I was trying to find a  user's properties in active directory  in child domain, say z.america.com. I used the following cmdlet:

Get-ADUser -Filter {Name -eq "Smith, John"} -Server abc.com -Properties *

Note: you have to find the name of the server (abc.com) of your child domain

No.  Not necessary.  Just use the domain fqdn.  The network will find server for you.

Get-ADUser -Filter {Name -eq "Smith, John"} -Server  z.america.com-Properties *

Note that you can also "ping" a domain by name:

ping  z.america.com

\_(ツ)_/

Saturday, June 2, 2018 3:04 PM