Word 2007: "Word was unable to read this document. It may be corrupt . . . " RRS feed

• Question

• Hi experts,

I saved a Word 2003 file with Word 2007.

Now, for some reason, I cannot open the file with either Word 2003 or Word 2007.

When I tried to open it, I got a message:
    "Word was unable to read this document. It may be corrupt. Try one or more of the following:
    'Open and repair file, open the file with the Text Recovery converter' ".

What may be the best solution?

Thanks a lot!
    Wednesday, May 6, 2015 3:54 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The Word document might be damaged or corrupted and requires the Open and Repair feature in Word to successfully open the document.

The steps on how to use "Open and Repair" option to repair a corrupt Word file is:

• Go to 'File' menu and click 'Open'.
    • Select the file that you want to open by a single click; however, do not double-click the file.
    • In place of clicking 'Open', click the small arrow provided at the 'Open' button and select 'Open and Repair' option.

For how to open the file with the Text Recovery converter, you can refer to this KB article: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/290946

Regards,

Ethan Hua
    TechNet Community Support

It's recommended to download and install Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT), which is developed by Microsoft Support teams. Once the tool is installed, you can run it at any time to scan for hundreds of known issues in Office programs.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, May 7, 2015 3:05 AM

All replies

• You can try either method, as long as you don't over-write the original file.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 7:43 AM
  • Hi,

The Word document might be damaged or corrupted and requires the Open and Repair feature in Word to successfully open the document.

The steps on how to use "Open and Repair" option to repair a corrupt Word file is:

• Go to 'File' menu and click 'Open'.
    • Select the file that you want to open by a single click; however, do not double-click the file.
    • In place of clicking 'Open', click the small arrow provided at the 'Open' button and select 'Open and Repair' option.

For how to open the file with the Text Recovery converter, you can refer to this KB article: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/290946

Regards,

Ethan Hua
    TechNet Community Support

It's recommended to download and install Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT), which is developed by Microsoft Support teams. Once the tool is installed, you can run it at any time to scan for hundreds of known issues in Office programs.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, May 7, 2015 3:05 AM