none
CANNOT RE-INSTALL IE11 - (I Lost Internet Explorer Browser) ERROR: Setup can't continue because a more recent version of Internet Explorerxplorer is installed on your computer. RRS feed

• Question

• I am using a Window 7 operating system and IE automatically updated me to IE11, but I cannot use with my manufacturers websites. I uninstalled the update, but LOST Internet Explorer entirely! All icons plus my desktop gadgets (still working on that one!).  Long story short...I have recovered Internet Explorer!!!!

I hope this might help someone else...it took me hours to get and neither support or community forums had an answer.

Every time I tried to re-install IE it always prompted me to IE11 - so that is what I've installed and put into compatability mode.  Initially I was not able to download AT ALL - This is the error message:

"Setup can't continue because a more recent version of Internet Explorer is installed on your computer."

(I did not have a more recent version installed that I could find anywhere.)

First - Go to control panel -> programs -> Under Programs & Features, click “Turn Windows Features On" -> select Internet Explorer 11.  (Wait for it to process and Go back & double check to make sure it stuck)

Next, instead of searching from the windows button, I opened the Windows Explorer Folder -> Local disk (C:) -> Program Files -> Internet Explorer -> (scroll down the list) select "iexplore" (has the ie icon, Type - Application, size -796 KB) -> double clicked and it opened and prompted me to set as default browser.  Which I did!

FINALLY!  Before you close this window - Make sure you "pin" the IE icon onto the Taskbar at the bottom (right click the icon & pin) and create a shortcut on your desktop. Otherwise it does not automatically download the IE icons (I had to go back through Windows Explorer to re-open)

<v:shapetype coordsize="21600,21600" filled="f" id="_x0000_t75" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" stroked="f">You may need to set compatibility setting (Tools-> Compatibility-> add) depending on your needs.</v:shapetype>

Hope this helps!<v:shapetype coordsize="21600,21600" filled="f" id="_x0000_t75" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" stroked="f"></v:shapetype>

<v:shapetype coordsize="21600,21600" filled="f" id="_x0000_t75" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" stroked="f"></v:shapetype>

<v:shapetype coordsize="21600,21600" filled="f" id="_x0000_t75" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" stroked="f">
     <v:stroke joinstyle="miter">
    <v:formulas>  <v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0">
      <v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0">
      <v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1">
      <v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2">
      <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth">
      <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight">
      <v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1">
      <v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2">
      <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth">
      <v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0">
      <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight">
      <v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0">
     </v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:formulas>
     <v:path gradientshapeok="t" o:connecttype="rect" o:extrusionok="f">
     <o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit">
    </o:lock></v:path></v:stroke></v:shapetype><v:shape alt="" id="_x0000_i1025" style="width:427.8pt;height:97.8pt;" type="#_x0000_t75">
    <v:imagedata o:href="cid:image005.png@01D0BB2A.4457CE10" src="file:///C:\Users\Debbie\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.png">
    </v:imagedata></v:shape>

Friday, July 10, 2015 11:44 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please re-edit your post since it is in wrong format. According to your description, it also seems like you are sharing your experience on how to resolve this problem to us. If this issue still persists, please make sure you reboot your computer after you uninstall the updates for Internet Explorer.

If this issue still occurs after reboot, run following command to remove all Internet Explorer 11 package completely.

FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*11.*.mum /c "cmd /c echo Uninstalling package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname /quiet /norestart

Then reboot your system try reinstall Internet Explorer 11 from Microsoft download center

https://www.microsoft.com/zh-hk/download/Internet-Explorer-11-for-Windows-7-details.aspx

Regards,

D. Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 14, 2015 1:12 AM