limited backups unable to mount Priv1.edb (with thousands of log files) RRS feed

• Question

• Small Business server 2003, Exchange backups are non exisitant (only backups of Exchsrvr), there are over 1600 log files and a 4GB EDB.

The server died and I've created a VM from a backup, unable to mount EDB, errors state files are locked, or ID no: c1041724 (restart Exchange System Manager). ESEUTIL /r ERRORs with -1032 (JET_errFileAccessDenied), ESEUTIL /p takes quite a while but states successful, ESEUTIL /mh shows state anow as clean shutdown, but when trying to mount it goes back to "An Internal Processing Error has occurred. Try restartin..." ID no: c1041724

I've restored the MDDATA files from 1 or two days before the death of server 1. Tried the many variations of ESEUTIL, with or without the services running and also with the AV fully disabled.

Over 4 years of emails locked into this folder - no other backups apart from the EXCHSRVS\MDDATA folder

Monday, April 18, 2011 3:59 PM

Answers

• I'm really sorry.

The fault was the temp location (Environment variables) was pointing to an old drive letter, I recreated the drive and I now have a working system.

Apologies for being a newbie 

• Marked as answer by emma.yoyo Thursday, April 21, 2011 1:26 AM
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 10:03 AM

All replies

• Can you mount the store if you delete all the log and checkpoint files?
    Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 5:45 AM
  • Hi Matthew,

Please check whether there is any error event when you try to mount the database.

Could you please provide more information about "The server died and I've created a VM from a backup"?

More information:

Moving an Exchange Mailbox Database to Another Server or Storage Group

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997006(EXCHG.65).aspx

Frank Wang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com  

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 8:10 AM
  • I'm really sorry.

The fault was the temp location (Environment variables) was pointing to an old drive letter, I recreated the drive and I now have a working system.

Apologies for being a newbie 

• Marked as answer by emma.yoyo Thursday, April 21, 2011 1:26 AM
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 10:03 AM