Who has logged into SharePoint 2007 in 2014? RRS feed

• Question

• We are going to be decommissioning our SharePoint 2007 server (running on Windows Server 2003 SP2 machine) very soon. There aren't a lot of people that use our 2007 instance any more but I will need alert all of the users who do still use it that we will be decommissioning it that way they can make sure their pertinent data is moved or saved elsewhere.

I have tried using the Usage Summary to get a list of all of the users who have used SP 2007 this year but I am not finding it very helpful. I have checked the Event Viewer >  Security logs, but it is a lot to go through and the native filter is not dynamic enough.

Can somebody recommend what I should use to compile a concise list showing who has logged in and when?

Thank you in advance!

Tuesday, April 29, 2014 7:49 PM

All replies

• I'd start by checking the IIS logs, since that'll include (NTLM/Kerberos) usernames.

Scott Brickey
    MCTS, MCPD, MCITP
    www.sbrickey.com
    Strategic Data Systems - for all your SharePoint needs

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 2:37 AM
  • I took your suggestion and checked the IIS log files here: C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles

There are 7 folders there. Some are empty and some are full of .log files. I checked a bunch of them and they are showing very little login  information.  I think each file may be by the day or perhaps I am looking in the wrong location.

The Event Viewer was more helpful albeit a nuisance to comb through.

Is there another way to do this?

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 7:48 PM
  • within LogFiles is a subfolder for each IIS web application. Match the webapp ID to the subfolder. Each log file will include the HTTP request (specifically the HTTP GET request), and the authenticated username (if any).

You should be able to pull a log file into Excel relatively easily (columns are separated by spaces).

Scott Brickey
    MCTS, MCPD, MCITP
    www.sbrickey.com
    Strategic Data Systems - for all your SharePoint needs

Thursday, May 1, 2014 2:02 PM
  • I see the folders in the LogFiles directory although the names of them are different than the Web app ID. When I open it up, there is a log file for each day. I think that these are the files you are referring to but I need to see more than just a day at a time. Do I need to pull each of the files into one Excel document and then separate the data OR is there another way?
    Tuesday, May 13, 2014 6:53 PM
  • Can anyone assist? Perhaps there is a PS script that can be run? 
    Monday, May 19, 2014 12:10 AM
  • I still am not able to obtain a list of users who have logged in. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
    Saturday, May 31, 2014 10:03 PM