none
Restore data from old hard drive to new computer

Question

• Have hard drive from my wife's broken laptop.
    When I try to install onto my laptop get a message system volume information… Access denied

How do I resolve this problem?

Saturday, June 16, 2018 7:19 PM

All replies

• Hi!

Usually, when an external hard drive shows the "Access is denied" error message, it suggests that you don't have the privilege of accessing to the disk partition. To fix the issue, you have to take ownership to get the permission. 

To fix "Access is denied" error in Windows Explorer:
    Right-click on the inaccessible hard drive, select Properties. Go to the Security tab, hit Advanced, then click the Edit button. On the Owner tab, modify the ownership of the specified account.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com  LinkedIn:   

Saturday, June 16, 2018 8:20 PM
  • Hi,

When you check Computer Management\Disk Management, is the drive recognized by your computer system? And in a health status?

If it sees health in it. You could follow Leon's suggestion try to take ownership and check the results.

Besides, please temporarily disable AV software to do a check.

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 18, 2018 7:00 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 19, 2018 6:40 AM