Strange Search Issue with Offline Folder RRS feed

• Question

• I have a user for whom we setup several network folders for offline access so she could add them to Libraries to simplify finding them in Save as... and Open dialogs. What we discovered was that when a subfolder in a mapped drive was made available offline, a serch of the mapped drive root or any other folder in the share would only return results from the "offline" folder. For example:

Lets say we have the following folder structure on server1:

Share1
        |__ Folder 1
                  |__ A bunch of subfolders...
        |__ Folder 2
                  |__ A bunch of subfolders...
        |__ Folder 3
                  |__ A bunch of subfolders...

The user has a mapped drive Z: mapped to \\server1\share1

Next the user (on a Windows 7 x64 OS) opens the Z: drive, right-clicks Folder 2 and selects "Always Available Offline" and adds the folder to a library.

The nest day the user wants to find a file somewhere in the subfolders under Folder 3. She opens her Z: drive and then opens Folder 3 and types the keyword into the Search field in Explorer. Upon doing so she either gets no results or only results in Folder 2 and its subfolders. Once we deselect "Always Available Offline", on Folder 2, a search of Folder 3 gives the expected results.

Does anyone have any insight into this behavior and can you offer any suggestions to fix it?

Thankis in advance.

Thanks...Ray
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 11:18 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet forums.

Windows will search Indexed location first. By default, all of the most common files on your computer are indexed. Indexed locations include all folders included in libraries (anything you see in the Documents library, for example), email, and offline files. Files that aren't indexed include program files and system files—files that most people rarely need to search.

If no result, you can manually click “Computer”  after receiving the no result in Windows Explorer.

If the issue persists, let us rebuild the index to check the result.

Open Indexing Options from control panel.

Click Advanced.  If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

In the Advanced Options dialog box, click the Index Settings tab, and then click Rebuild.  If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Best Regards

Magon Liu

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Magon Liu Friday, July 1, 2011 3:52 AM
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 10:23 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Windows will search Indexed location first. By default, all of the most common files on your computer are indexed. Indexed locations include all folders included in libraries (anything you see in the Documents library, for example), email, and offline files. Files that aren't indexed include program files and system files—files that most people rarely need to search.

If no result, you can manually click “Computer”  after receiving the no result in Windows Explorer.

If the issue persists, let us rebuild the index to check the result.

Open Indexing Options from control panel.

Click Advanced.  If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

In the Advanced Options dialog box, click the Index Settings tab, and then click Rebuild.  If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Best Regards

Magon Liu

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Magon Liu Friday, July 1, 2011 3:52 AM
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 10:23 AM
  •  

Hi,

How is it going? I would appreciate it if you could drop me a note to let me know the status of the issue. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to let me know. I am happy to be of further assistance.  :)

Best Regards

Magon Liu

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, June 27, 2011 2:41 AM
  • Sorry for the long delay in responding. It turns out I didn't have notifications turned on for the forums and didn't know there were replies. I didn't end up checking back becuase we ended up finding a different solution to the problem for other reasons.

I had already tried rebuilding the index and the behavior didn't change so I'd still say it's an issue but I can't be sure since we're no longer using the libraries or indexing the contents of the folders.

Thanks...Ray
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 7:39 PM