Pull DPs - Load? RRS feed

• Question

• In my environment we are considering using pull DPs at roughly 600 locations. Questions have been raised about what kind of load we can expect to see on a pull DP. The primary purpose of each of these pull DPs would be to service 5-10 other devices on site at the same location.

I would expect it to be an overall blip in the radar, however not everyone wants to assume it will occur seamlessly in the background. There would be two different configurations we plan on utilizing as pull DPs:

• Win7
    • Core2Duo E8400 (3GHz)
    • 4GB Ram

and

• Server 2003
    • Xeon 3065 (2.33GHz)
    • 4GB Ram

All of these devices currently have >1GB of RAM free at all times, and CPU usage generally stays below 50%.

Any thoughts, insight, or first hand experience is certainly appreciated.

Thursday, December 5, 2013 6:32 PM

All replies

• Hello Grimstar,

Have you seen the below link at all? It goes into a pretty deep explanation of how it all works and the expected benefits.

In my experience there isn't much overhead on the machines that perform the distribution of files. Their major need is bandwidth to move data. Your real concern should be how your single MP would handle distributing files to 600 locations WITHOUT the use of Pull DPs. The article explains what sounds like a very similar situation to yours.

Dustin Estes - MCP

• Proposed as answer by Dustin Estes Monday, December 30, 2013 4:47 PM
    Monday, December 23, 2013 11:03 PM
  •  Your real concern should be how your single MP would handle distributing files to 600 locations WITHOUT the use of Pull DPs

A MP does not handle the distribution of files BTW. Plus there's a link missing.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Monday, December 23, 2013 11:07 PM
  • https://blogs.technet.com/b/configmgrteam/archive/2013/06/06/introducing-the-pull-distribution-points.aspx

Dustin Estes - MCP www.dustinestes.com MCTS: Administering and Deploying System Center 2012 Configuration Manager MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Active Directory, Configuration

Thursday, December 26, 2013 12:55 PM
  •  Your real concern should be how your single MP would handle distributing files to 600 locations WITHOUT the use of Pull DPs

A MP does not handle the distribution of files BTW. Plus there's a link missing.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Excuse me Torsten. I guess I didn't explain that well enough. If you read the attached article it explains:

The action of distributing content to a large number of distribution points puts a huge load on the site server, especially the ‘distribution manager’ (distmgr) and ‘package transfer manager (pkgxfermgr)’ components of the site server.

So, assuming the only site server in your hierarchy is the Primary (MP server)  then it would be responsible for distributing the files to all of the DPs. This is where "Pull DPs" come in. Rather than the Primary Site Server "pushing" all the files out and having to keep track of the transfers, the DPs themselves take over all the overhead of getting their data.

Dustin Estes - MCP www.dustinestes.com MCTS: Administering and Deploying System Center 2012 Configuration Manager MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Active Directory, Configuration

• Edited by Dustin Estes Thursday, December 26, 2013 1:06 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Dustin Estes Monday, December 30, 2013 4:47 PM
    Thursday, December 26, 2013 1:05 PM