none
Uninstall Windows SteadyState manually RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having major trouble with a machine that seemingly had Windows SteadyState installed.
    The trouble is... I want to remove it, but I'm running into problems.

1st - SteadyState doesn't seem to be installed properly - when I click on the SS icon, it gives me the error "repair or reinstall the application"

So, I went to MS download site and redownloaded the newer version.

2nd - tried to run the new Installer.. and get the error "Another version is already installed... use Add/Remove to remove the older version"

So, I go to Add/Remove and click Remove and get "Cannot be uninstalled... please disable Windows Disk Protection and then try again."

How can I disable Windows Disk Protection if the SteadyState software doesn't run?

I tried going to Services and disabled SteadyState.. then rebooted, and got locked up at the LoginPrompt which wouldn't let me log in saying "waiting for SteadyState to Initialize"..   it never goes beyond that.. so I have to reboot and try the loop again.

I want to remove the WHOLE SteadyState software.. but I can't get past this!
    Please HELP!!!

Is there a way to uninstall SteadyState manually?
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 5:43 PM

Answers

•  

We can check if there is a cache file (Cache.WDP) under drive C: As the cache file was hidden by default, we need to show the hidden files with the following steps:

-------------------

1. Click Start, then click Control Panel, and then click Folder Options.

2. Click the View tab. Under Hidden files and folders, click "Show hidden files and folders."

3. Clear the "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" check box.

4. Clear the "Hide extensions for known file type" check box. Click OK.

If Cache.WDP exists, we can manually delete it with the following steps:

-------------------

1. Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard.

2. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, select Safe Mode, and then press Enter.

3. Log onto Windows by using the Administrator account or any user account with the Administrator privileges.

4. Delete the Cache.WDP file under drive C. Restart the computer.

5. Start SteadyState, “Cache File Is Corrupted” windows will appear.

6. Select “Uninstall Windows Disk Protection and delete the corrupted cache file” and click OK.

Then, let's see if it can be uninstalled.

Friday, August 15, 2008 4:48 AM

All replies

•  

We can check if there is a cache file (Cache.WDP) under drive C: As the cache file was hidden by default, we need to show the hidden files with the following steps:

-------------------

1. Click Start, then click Control Panel, and then click Folder Options.

2. Click the View tab. Under Hidden files and folders, click "Show hidden files and folders."

3. Clear the "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" check box.

4. Clear the "Hide extensions for known file type" check box. Click OK.

If Cache.WDP exists, we can manually delete it with the following steps:

-------------------

1. Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard.

2. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, select Safe Mode, and then press Enter.

3. Log onto Windows by using the Administrator account or any user account with the Administrator privileges.

4. Delete the Cache.WDP file under drive C. Restart the computer.

5. Start SteadyState, “Cache File Is Corrupted” windows will appear.

6. Select “Uninstall Windows Disk Protection and delete the corrupted cache file” and click OK.

Then, let's see if it can be uninstalled.

Friday, August 15, 2008 4:48 AM
  • im am haveing the same issue as the post above yours. this Cache.WDP does not exist under c drive or any onther drive. can you please help me.

thanks djekl
    Saturday, August 30, 2008 9:45 AM
  •  

Hi djekl, we can try the following steps if Windows SteadyState cannot be removed from add/remove programs.

1. Disable restrictions and make sure Windows Disk Protection is turned off. Please also consider removing all restrictions as they will not be deleted during the un-installation.

a. Disable the restrictions in "Global Computer Settings", "Set Computer Restrictions".

b. Turn off "Protect the Hard Disk".

c. Unlock all users in "User Settings".

d. Cancel all the restrictions in each user. 

e. Restart the computer if you would like to apply the previous settings.

If WDP can be disabled, we can uninstall SteadyState from Add/Remove Programs, just like other programs.

However, if WDP cannot be disabled, please switch it to “Retain all changes permanently”. If it will restore to “Remove all changes at restart” automatically, let’s continue with the steps below

2. Restart the computer to Safe mode to clear the cache file

a. Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard. On a computer that is configured for booting to multiple Operating Systems, you can press the F8 key when you see the boot menu.

b. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, select Safe Mode, and then press Enter.

c. Log onto Windows by using the Administrator account or any user account with the Administrator privileges.

d. Delete the Cache.WDP file. Restart the computer.

3. Run SteadyState again, it will report the cache file is corrupted, choose the delete option and then restart the computer. After that, try to uninstall from Add/Remove Programs. If still fails, continue with the following steps:

4. Remove SteadyState registry entries and files:

a. Click Start and then Run.

b. Type in regedit and then click OK.

c. Navigate and delete the following two branches:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Computer Toolkit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Windows SteadyState

d. Search and delete all Windows SteadyState related entries.

e. Delete files under C:\Program Files\Windows SteadyState

5.  Please restart the computer and check if it is removed successfully.

Monday, September 1, 2008 5:34 AM
  • I've noticed several postings recently with people trying to uninstall WSS and/or disabling WDP. Just this morning I too ran into a problem with WSS. Received the error "Windows SteadyState - An unexpected error occured (0x80041002)"

This pop's up now at every reboot and WSS is non-functional. Changes are saved at every reboot (x4 so far) without any way to prevent this from occuring.

I too tried to disable WSS and now upgrade to v2.5.

* Cannot get into WSS controls.
    * Cannot disable WDP
    * Cannot remove/uninstall WSS
    * Cannot install WSS 2.5

This was on a machine that has been running WSS for >8 months at pretty much "steady state".

Perhaps some windows update recently pushed has somehow affected WSS? I see no other reason why this particular machine would have all of a sudden started pushing daisies.

Anyway, I will be trying to follow the instructions provided by
    Sean Zhu - MSFT

Fingers crossed.

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 1:56 PM
  • FOLLOW-UP...

Followed the instructions by
    Sean Zhu - MSFT above. Did not work. In fact, following reboot from step 2, I was no longer presented with any users at the XP login screen (usually 3). Even double tapping the <CTRL><ALT><DEL> didn't allow me to log in as administrator. Gave me an "unable to log you on because of an account restriction." Hmmm.

So back to safe mode to create a "temp" user with admin rights. Was allowed to log on with this user after reboot.

At step 3 I still could not run WSS nor was I given the corrupt file-delete option.

Back to safe mode and the registry edits in step 4. No good but no WSS does not show up anywhere but BTW, the machine gives me the error "WCFChk cannot open cache...(disappeared before I can write it down.)" during boot.

After deleting the registry entries, I tried installing WSS 2.5. Proceeds fully but then... when I try to run the gui "WSS repair/reinstall"

Looks like I will have to rebuild the system. Any thoughts before I nuke it?

BTW... Windows Restore did not work to the 5 previous system checkpoints. (Does it ever?)
    Tuesday, September 2, 2008 2:58 PM
  •  

Go command line and Uninstall SteadyState with this command: "MsiExec.exe /X{D3880A64-6112-47b7-8BFE-70EEA07B43E0}"

Friday, September 19, 2008 10:11 PM
  • Joao Carlos,

I tried your suggested command line fix. Just like from "add/remove programs", it tries to uninstall but results in an error message as follows:

Windows SteadyState cannot be successfully uninstalled when Windows Disk Protection is enabled. Please disable Windows Disk Protection and then try again.

Without being able to get into WSS, I can't figure out how to
    successfully disable Windows Disk Protection.

Any thoughts? Anyone?

Saturday, September 20, 2008 1:08 PM
  • Hi Bros,

I successfully disable the disk protection and remove the windows steadystate here are the steps:

You need an administrator account (For my case I enable the local administrator account and reset the password)

1.       Log in with the administrator account

2.       Go to this folder C:\Program Files\Windows SteadyState

3.       In the folder there is one file called “SCTUI” run it and it will launch the window Steadystate Global Settings

4.       Double click on “Protect the Hard Disk” and select the Off radio button and click Ok

It will not restart your system and disable the disk protection. However I have to Clear the password of the Local administrator account again as the Steadystate reverted to the originally settings only this time round the Disk Protection is off. (The domain admin account should work)

After I’ve log in again I meddled around with the settings and restarted this time it doesn’t revert back to the original settings already.

Part 2:

5.       You can then change the name of the folder C:\Program Files\Windows SteadyState to anything

6.       Go to run and type services.msc and check for windows steadystate service is already stopped

7.       Then go run and type regedit and backup the registry 1st then go to this folder path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/Windows Steadystate and delete the whole folder key.

8.       Restart and check to see the windows steadystate service is removed

Friday, September 26, 2008 4:51 AM
  • Kind of a novice but...what steps do I need to take to find/delete Cache.WDP file under drive C.  Did everything else OK.

Please Help.

Thank You!!!

Thursday, November 20, 2008 7:33 AM