Windows 7 boot time and classpnp.sys RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,
    I just installed downloade Windows 7 Ulitmate x64 from technet plus and installed on a new PC with follwoing config:

Motherboard: ECS X58B-A
    CPU:  Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHZ
    Memory - Corsair XMS3 6GB (3X2GB) total RAM 12GB
    Graphic: Gigabyte GV-R4677ZL rADEON hd 4670
    HDD:  Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s (2 OF THE SAME in a RAID1 configuration)

Windows 7 installs without any issues and I am able to login and update all the Windows 7 drivers.  However, the system is choppy, and freezes.  The only way to unfreeze it is to do a reset.  When the system reboots, it takes about 10-15 minutes sitting on the Windows 7 icon saying "starting Windows".  When running it in Safe Mode, it gets stuck at ClassPNP.SYS for about 10-15 minutes and finally reboots.

I am thinking about going back to XP - Vista may have the same issue.  Any ideas???

Thanks in advance,

Walid
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 4:41 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I've the same problem BUT only when I add a framegrabber to my system configuration. If I remove the framegrabber Windows 7 boots again without any problems

my config:

MB: DFI LANPARTY DK X58-T3eH6
    CPU: Intel Core i7 920
    Mem: 6GB (3x2)
    Graphic: NVIDIA Quadro FX1800 & FX580
    HDD: Hitachi 320 GB

regards,
     Dierk
    Friday, August 21, 2009 10:51 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I've the same problem BUT only when I add a framegrabber to my system configuration. If I remove the framegrabber Windows 7 boots again without any problems

my config:

MB: DFI LANPARTY DK X58-T3eH6
    CPU: Intel Core i7 920
    Mem: 6GB (3x2)
    Graphic: NVIDIA Quadro FX1800 & FX580
    HDD: Hitachi 320 GB

regards,
     Dierk
    Friday, August 21, 2009 10:51 AM
  • I updated flashed the bios with the latest firmware and the problem went away.  So far, no issues since then - Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit runs great on my machine.  Very nice!

• Proposed as answer by Robb R Thursday, August 1, 2013 3:49 AM
    Monday, August 31, 2009 4:46 PM
  • Try this... Its working for me at the moment after days of screaming with the same issues your having

When you go into your BIOS -> F12 (for my gateway) -> select Run from CD/DVD on your Windows 7 disk for fresh install (i think ya'll are not having any issues at this point) -> let it install.  WHEN IT DOES ITS FIRST REBOOT Go into BIOS again, then select run from HDD.

For some reason, what i think the reason is that its trying to run from the Win7 disk again and from the HDD causing somekind of loop at classpnp.sys

I hope that helps.... let me know how that goes.

Thursday, June 10, 2010 7:59 PM
  • When the system reboots, it takes about 10-15 minutes sitting on the Windows 7 icon saying "starting Windows". 
    Hi,

follow my guide here to make a boot trace:
    http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=140247

and compress the boot_BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER_1.etl as 7z or RAR and upload it to your Skydrive and post the link here. I take a look at the trace, maybe I see what's wrong with your Windows.

regards
    André

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 8:28 PM