none
I would like to explain the problem – If there are tasks TASK1,TASK2 assigned to one resource RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to explain the problem – If there are tasks TASK1,TASK2 assigned to one resource –

TASK1 – Start:1/1/2013 – End:2/1/2013 – 18hrs of work

TASK2 - Start:3/1/2013 – End:4/1/2013 – 18hrs of work

If the resource enters 27hrs instead of 18hrs for TASK1 since 27hrs is the actual time spent on that particular task, it moves the scheduled dateStart:3/1/2013 – End:4/1/2013 to Start:4/1/2013 – End:5/1/2013, affecting the schedule of the project. Is there a way to avoid this? Entering actual hrs(more or less than the allocated hrs) should not move the dates of other tasks.

Friday, May 24, 2013 9:26 AM

Answers

• hi,

The behaviour you are describing seems to be normal, because you should be in Fixed Unit mode for your tasks.

Some explanations: MS Project  always calculates the consistency between the work, the duration, and the amount of resource (aka Unit or Capacity). Work = Unit X Duration.

If the actual work is greater than the planned work, than MS Project will change the work.

Than he calculates that with the capacity of the defined resource, he has to increase the duration of the task, otherwize the information will be wrong. Because there is a link with the next task, the start date will change.

If you want to avoid this behaviour, you have to change some option of the task (Task Information/Advanced/Task type): by default, they are certainly defined as Fixed Unit. You should change them to Fixed Duration.

With Fixed Duration, if you change the work, the Unit will change: he will say that your resource has worked at 140% for example.

Is it OK for you ?

Sylvain

• Marked as answer by MSP-Learner Monday, May 27, 2013 11:41 AM
    Friday, May 24, 2013 3:28 PM

All replies

• hi,

The behaviour you are describing seems to be normal, because you should be in Fixed Unit mode for your tasks.

Some explanations: MS Project  always calculates the consistency between the work, the duration, and the amount of resource (aka Unit or Capacity). Work = Unit X Duration.

If the actual work is greater than the planned work, than MS Project will change the work.

Than he calculates that with the capacity of the defined resource, he has to increase the duration of the task, otherwize the information will be wrong. Because there is a link with the next task, the start date will change.

If you want to avoid this behaviour, you have to change some option of the task (Task Information/Advanced/Task type): by default, they are certainly defined as Fixed Unit. You should change them to Fixed Duration.

With Fixed Duration, if you change the work, the Unit will change: he will say that your resource has worked at 140% for example.

Is it OK for you ?

Sylvain

• Marked as answer by MSP-Learner Monday, May 27, 2013 11:41 AM
    Friday, May 24, 2013 3:28 PM
  • Thank you..

I am looking into it..I will reply once i have the outcome

Friday, May 24, 2013 4:30 PM