"No disks are available for use a backup destination." RRS feed

• Question

• I'm attempting to schedule a backup in Windows Server 2008 SP2, and am getting an error during the step "Select destination disk".  Here's the full text:

"No disks are available for use a backup destination.  This can happen when all disks attached to the computer are hosting volumes that contain an operating system or application data.  Attach an empty disk to use as a backup destination."

It is true that there are no free volumes w/o operating system or application data, but I'm backing up to a network share, so that should not matter.  And in fact it works fine when using the "Backup Once" option... only the "Backup Schedule" option fails with this error.

Thanks,
    Dave
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 1:45 PM

Answers

• Hi,

In Windows Server 2008, scheduled backup to a network share or an individual volume is not supported. An empty harddisk dedicated for backup is required. Whereas it is enabled in the "Backup Once" flow. The full set of features avaliable in Windows Server Backup in Windows Server 2008 is http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770266(WS.10).aspx

Scheduled Backup to an individual volume and a network share is supported in Windows Server 2008 R2. The new features in Windows Server Backup in Windows Server 2008 R2 are documented at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732091.aspx

Thanks,
    Abhinav

Thanks, Abhinav Mathur [MSFT] -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    • Marked as answer by dsmithwv Friday, October 9, 2009 2:00 PM
    Friday, October 9, 2009 11:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

In Windows Server 2008, scheduled backup to a network share or an individual volume is not supported. An empty harddisk dedicated for backup is required. Whereas it is enabled in the "Backup Once" flow. The full set of features avaliable in Windows Server Backup in Windows Server 2008 is http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770266(WS.10).aspx

Scheduled Backup to an individual volume and a network share is supported in Windows Server 2008 R2. The new features in Windows Server Backup in Windows Server 2008 R2 are documented at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732091.aspx

Thanks,
    Abhinav

Thanks, Abhinav Mathur [MSFT] -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    • Marked as answer by dsmithwv Friday, October 9, 2009 2:00 PM
    Friday, October 9, 2009 11:37 AM
  • Thanks, Abhinav!  We were going to upgrade sooner or later anyway, so I guess this pushes us toward "sooner".

Dave
    Friday, October 9, 2009 2:00 PM
  • Did you ever upgrade to R2 and get this working?  I'm running 2008 R2 and still can't get backups to write to a network share.
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 9:12 PM
  • I configured a task to auto-run with "Task Scheduler" and then I created a text file with the line

Wbadmin start backup -backupTarget:\\[Shared_Computer\dir\]\[Share name] -include:C: -vssFull -quiet

Saved as .bat and loaded it, now our backups are automatic in Windows 2008 Server (NOT R2), I hope this helps some other admins!

• Proposed as answer by Dale Lewis Monday, October 3, 2011 11:12 PM
    • Edited by ChadChadChad Monday, March 26, 2012 2:55 PM
    Monday, January 24, 2011 8:48 PM
  • ChadChadChad... thanks a lot!  Your solution is brilliant.
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 9:48 PM
  • Thank you so much for this... Excellent one.!!!!

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 4:56 PM
  • Same issue for me as well w/2008 ent RC2 - installed command line feature just to be sure it wasn't a simple dependancy. No bueno. ChadChadChad below saves the day.

***note: Backup Once option works to net path***

• Edited by Dale Lewis Monday, October 3, 2011 11:20 PM added info
    Monday, October 3, 2011 11:12 PM
  • Yes, Brilliant folks.  Thanks for the clarification, and THANK YOU Microsoft for excluding that feature for no good reason.  What would we do without you?
    Saturday, October 22, 2011 8:23 AM
  • All my 2008 standard r2 servers can standard backup to shares. (sheduled and at once)

And that was also before i installed sp1.

My 2008 enterprise servers can't backup to shares sheduled, only at once.

So i think that it's maybey a difference between standard and enterprise edition. :S

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 10:13 AM
  • All my 2008 standard r2 servers can standard backup to shares. (sheduled and at once)

And that was also before i installed sp1.

My 2008 enterprise servers can't backup to shares sheduled, only at once.

So i think that it's maybey a difference between standard and enterprise edition. :S

Hendricus Kramer, your 2008 (non-R2) can as well if you read my post above. I hope that helps you!...also you can decide to manually run that command / .bat are your own leisure if you decide not to use task scheduler.

Friday, March 23, 2012 2:46 PM
  • I have tried this but does not work for some reason! grgrgrg !!! Any suggestion?
    Tuesday, January 29, 2013 3:04 PM
  • What is the error that you are given? Anything in eventlog?

"solutions are not the answer" - Richard M. Nixon

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 10:41 PM
  • This is GREAT!, way to go, ChadChadChad.

One question however, what would the syntax be if I want to do multiple drive letters, like C:, E:, and F:?

Thanks!

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 2:40 PM
  • Way to go, Microsoft! :-( 

It was supported in Windows 2003R2, but you had to drop it from the newer 2008 version and then re-establish in later 2008R2 version?

This is just plain irresponsible...

Thursday, February 13, 2014 2:45 AM
  • My external drive had a 200mb partition that I could not remove from windows.  I know this might be too late but here is what I did to resolve the issue.  Keep in mind that these steps are very dangerous and should only be performed if you are an IT professional and understand the risks of lost data if done wrong

1) run cmd prompt as administrator (after each command below press ENTER)

2) type "diskpart"

3) type "list disk" to see which disk number your external drive is

4) type "select disk 1" - Your disk number might be different.  Make sure to get the right drive otherwise you will destroy data on a good disk

5) type "list partition" - just a verification that you have the correct drive

6) I am telling you double/triple check to make sure you have the right disk

7) type "clean" - you now have successfully wiped your drive

8) type "exit" - exits disk part

9) type "quit" - exits command prompt

10) run your back again and the drive will be listed as available. 

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 3:34 PM
  • Aces. This is the solution for me. Thank You!
    Thursday, April 28, 2016 9:40 PM