Suggestion for Taskbar Buttons Improvment RRS feed

• General discussion

• OK, I hope you all think this is a really great improvement suggestion because I think it would be really easy to implement.

I like the ability to 'combine taskbar buttons' option, but only for certain programs and thus wish we could have the ability to choose which programs have their taskbar buttons combined (into the little square button) and which we don't.

I think it is very clear which types of programs work very well with the combined/square taskbar button and which don't because there are basically two types of programs out there:
    1. Programs that will never/rarely have multiple windows (music/media players, tab-based browsers, etc.).  I think these work very well with the combined/square taskbar buttons and really benefit from them because it keeps the program from taking up too much space on the taskbar.  
    2. Programs that often have multiple windows (Windows explorer, Microsoft Word, etc.).  I think that these programs work MUCH better with noncombined taskbar buttons because otherwise I get lost in all their windows (and I consider myself very good at keeping track of multiple windows).
    I hope the rest of you agree with me!  Maybe we can get this implemented by release time.

Here is an example of what I'm talking about that is specific to my setup.  I always have Google Chrome and Rhapsody running whenever my computer is turned on and both of them always only have 1 window (ie one space in the taskbar) and it would be great if I could make them be combined/square taskbar buttons all the time, but still be able to have uncombined windows explorer taskbar buttons.

Thanks!
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 5:45 PM

All replies

• I still think that the best way would be to separate the windows mostly manually (with maybe some limited automatization for Word or smth, but still has to be User-controlled/-able ) by simply dragging one of the window thumbnails (the one you wish to make separate) out of the Live Thumbnails group and onto the Taskbar .
    Regards, Kristaps.
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 9:14 PM
  • I agree there should be some way to customize this. Using an instant messaging program that can have many windows open at once is such a pain in the you know what when you get a new message: the whole icon lights up, you click it once then have to look through to click the one that got the message. I'd like to be able to have some sort of list where i can that instantmessenger.exe, word.exe, someotherprogram.exe  display ungrouped, while the rest of my programs show grouped.

Either that or there should be a "never combine, hide labels" option. If i have to see all the windows open for everything that is just fine, but at least let me shut the labels off.
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 5:12 AM