Options for Converting existing Shared Office 365 Calendar - input requested RRS feed

• Question

• Good afternoon everyone,

I manage the technology department for my town's public school district, and I'm looking for the easiest way to get an existing shared calendar setup where the following occurs:

1) Our superintendent's secretary is the ONLY one that can accept/place events into the calendar.
    2) Everyone in a particular distribution group can view it, but cannot make changes.
    3) No one gets the annoying pop-up reminders.  (If this is customizable, even better...the superintendent might want this option for his)
    4) If someone wants to request a date be added, it goes to the superintendent's secretary mentioned in #1 for approval

We already have an existing shared calendar we've created that has a lot of events entered.  I would rather keep this and convert, if any conversion is required, but i'm open to any suggestions.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Wednesday, May 15, 2019 8:06 PM

Answers

• Hi Jon Ed Rowe,

Based on my experience, I have following suggestions:

>> 1) Our superintendent's secretary is the ONLY one that can accept/place events into the calendar.

Owner of this shared calendar can add secretary as a delegate and give permission to Calendar folder. Delegate can deal with meeting request on behalf of owner.

Reference: Allow someone else to manage your mail and calendar

>> 2) Everyone in a particular distribution group can view it, but cannot make changes.

Owner can give reviewer permission to this particular distribution group.

To do this:

1. Right click calendar and select Properties.
    2. Under Permission, Click Add.
    3. Select the distribution group from Address Book.
    4. Set “Can view all details” or “Can view titles and locations” as you want.

>> 3) No one gets the annoying pop-up reminders.  (If this is customizable, even better...the superintendent might want this option for his)

Outlook only supports firing reminders in your own mailbox or default PST file. Reminders in shared calendar won't fire, in part because it has the potential to create "reminder spam".

>> 4) If someone wants to request a date be added, it goes to the superintendent's secretary mentioned in #1 for approval

When secretary is added as a delegate, users can submit meeting request and secretary can determine whether accept or decline it.

Hope the information is helpful to you.

If you more concern, please feel free to tell us.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, May 16, 2019 5:34 AM

All replies

• Hi Jon Ed Rowe,

Based on my experience, I have following suggestions:

>> 1) Our superintendent's secretary is the ONLY one that can accept/place events into the calendar.

Owner of this shared calendar can add secretary as a delegate and give permission to Calendar folder. Delegate can deal with meeting request on behalf of owner.

Reference: Allow someone else to manage your mail and calendar

>> 2) Everyone in a particular distribution group can view it, but cannot make changes.

Owner can give reviewer permission to this particular distribution group.

To do this:

1. Right click calendar and select Properties.
    2. Under Permission, Click Add.
    3. Select the distribution group from Address Book.
    4. Set “Can view all details” or “Can view titles and locations” as you want.

>> 3) No one gets the annoying pop-up reminders.  (If this is customizable, even better...the superintendent might want this option for his)

Outlook only supports firing reminders in your own mailbox or default PST file. Reminders in shared calendar won't fire, in part because it has the potential to create "reminder spam".

>> 4) If someone wants to request a date be added, it goes to the superintendent's secretary mentioned in #1 for approval

When secretary is added as a delegate, users can submit meeting request and secretary can determine whether accept or decline it.

Hope the information is helpful to you.

If you more concern, please feel free to tell us.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, May 16, 2019 5:34 AM
  • Hi Jon Ed Rowe,

I'm wondering if the information above is helpful to you. If you have other concern when setting calendar permission, please feel free to post back.

If the information helps, please mark it as answer.

Regards,

Perry

Monday, May 20, 2019 6:45 AM
  • I apologize for the delay, this worked like a charm.  Thank you!!!!!
    Tuesday, May 21, 2019 2:24 PM