Outlook 2010 Sent Emails Header Info Questions RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone,

I have a few questions about the header information in Outlook 2010 sent emails.

1. If I reply to an email, Outlook 2010 seems to automatically put single quotes around the person's name.

If I was replying to Joe Blow the message automatically gets sent to 'Joe Blow' <joeblow@idaho.null>

Is there any way to prevent Outlook 2010 from automatically putting the single quotes around the name?

2. When I display a Sent Email or if I print a Sent Email, the intended recipients name is only shown, not their name and email address.

To: Joe Blow

Is there any way to make the email address of the intended recipient visible and printable?

To: Joe Blow <joeblow@idaho.null>

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Monday, April 20, 2020 8:59 PM

Answers

• I find this infuriating.

This is a Kludgy fix for Outlook 2010.

Go into the address book / contacts.

For your Display As info change it to:

yourfirstname yourlastname <youremailaddress(@)yourdomainname.com>

For each contact do the same with their Display As info.

What you get is:

From: yourfirstname yourlast name <youremailaddress@yourdomainname.com>

To: recipientfirstname recipientlastname <recipientemailaddress(@)recipientdomain.com>

This is like I said Kludgy, but as close as I can get to a sane solution.

The () act as delimiters for the @ symbol. Without the () you would just get the email address and no name. I have no idea why.

You still have to delete the address automatically generated when you click reply and replace it with the address in your contacts / address book.

If this gives you any idea how to do this all more elegantly, please share it.

Thank you.

Thursday, April 23, 2020 6:04 AM

All replies

• Hi,

For question 1:

Please try in Outlook the following:

Click File > Options > Mail > Spelling and Autocorrect > AutoCorrect Options > in the AutoFormat tab, uncheck "Straight quotes" with 'Smart quotes" box > on the Aoutoformat As You Type tab, uncheck "Straight quotes" with 'Smart quotes" box.

For question 2:

According to my research, I'm afraid there is not a build-in method to change this. If you still would like to see a feature to change this, it is encouraged to share your feedback via the Outlook UserVoice forum.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 21, 2020 2:14 AM
  • Thank you for your reply.

I will try your suggestion for Q1 and report back with my results.

I am amazed that there is no fix presently for Q2. Seems so strange.

Tuesday, April 21, 2020 5:29 AM
  • Aidan,

Sorry, but I followed you directions exactly to the letter and it did not effect any change with regard to the problem I described in 1.

Any other suggestions appreciated.

TIA

Tuesday, April 21, 2020 9:45 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

So where do you see the single quotes? Do these single quotes only appear on email addresses not in your contacts folder? If so, I'm afraid there is no method to get rid of the single quotes around email addresses. The single quotes mean that the address is not in your contacts folder or the sender's contacts folder. If you click the To button and select a contact from your contact folder, there won't be any single quotes. Moreover, if a message arrives with the address in quotes and you reply, outlook uses the quotes and never checks your contacts.

If not, I would appreciate it if you could remove the privacy information and then share some screenshots so that we can do more research on this.

(If you cannot put the screenshot here, you can upload it to OneDrive (https://onedrive.live.com/) and then share the link here.)

Regards, 

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 22, 2020 6:51 AM
  • Aidan,

I think you may have hit the answer without realizing it.

I have not been using the address book, and have not been saving any addresses to it.

The quotes do not appear in the draft of the outbound email, but do appear when it arrives in the Sent Mail folder and also the Inbox if I Bcc: myself.

Armed with the knowledge you shared just now, I will start making a few entries into the address book and run a few experiments to see if this fixes the problem.

I will post again after I know for sure.

Thanks again.

Wednesday, April 22, 2020 9:42 PM
  • So where do you see the single quotes? Do these single quotes only appear on email addresses not in your contacts folder? If so, I'm afraid there is no method to get rid of the single quotes around email addresses. The single quotes mean that the address is not in your contacts folder or the sender's contacts folder. If you click the To button and select a contact from your contact folder, there won't be any single quotes. Moreover, if a message arrives with the address in quotes and you reply, outlook uses the quotes and never checks your contacts.

It is so bizarre the way this works.

What I observe now is that if I click reply to a message, the draft shows the address Joe Blow <joeblow@idaho.null>

When the email appears in my Sent Mail folder as sent to 'Joe Blow' <joeblow@idaho.null> even if I create a contact for Joe Blow in my address book.

If before I send the email (while I am still viewing the draft), I click on the To: and bring up the address book entry and click OK, it still ends up having the single quotes around the name when the email ends up in the Sent Mail folder.

But If I erase the recipient's address from the To line while in the draft view, and then add it back explicitly from the address book, it appears in the draft view as just the name, no email address after it. Then when it ends up in the Sent Mail folder, there are no single quotes around the name.

It is as if the designers wanted to make the process of sending a reply email harder to do and without the recipient's email address appearing after the name when you print it from the sent email folder, it becomes worthless as evidence that you sent someone an email if you needed to present it in some legal proceeding.

Does Office 2016 have these same quirks?

Thursday, April 23, 2020 3:42 AM
  • I find this infuriating.

This is a Kludgy fix for Outlook 2010.

Go into the address book / contacts.

For your Display As info change it to:

yourfirstname yourlastname <youremailaddress(@)yourdomainname.com>

For each contact do the same with their Display As info.

What you get is:

From: yourfirstname yourlast name <youremailaddress@yourdomainname.com>

To: recipientfirstname recipientlastname <recipientemailaddress(@)recipientdomain.com>

This is like I said Kludgy, but as close as I can get to a sane solution.

The () act as delimiters for the @ symbol. Without the () you would just get the email address and no name. I have no idea why.

You still have to delete the address automatically generated when you click reply and replace it with the address in your contacts / address book.

If this gives you any idea how to do this all more elegantly, please share it.

Thank you.

Thursday, April 23, 2020 6:04 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply and sorry for the delay.

According to my research, Outlook 2016 don't have this issue. This may be an internal mechanism, which is hard to be easy solved.

Now thanks for your sharing and it is suggested to use your method as a workaround.

By the way, do you mind helping mark your post above as answer so that others who might have a similar question can benefit from your thread? Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Tuesday, April 28, 2020 7:14 AM
  • Dear Aidan,

Sorry for the delay in seeing your response.

I am glad to hear that 2016 does not have this problem.

I also have 2016 and have not installed it yet, so maybe that should be added to my ever growing "To Do" list.

I will mark the post with the workaround as the solution as you requested.

When I get to install 2016 in the future, I will post my experience with this issue.

Tnxs

Thursday, May 14, 2020 2:21 AM