Urgent - MOSS 2007 Error Cannot create a new web application RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings!

Couple of weeks back we moved our Sharepoint databases from one server to another. The move seems to be worked well because the sites were working well after the move, and there's no user complaints.

But, however when we go to Central Admin - we get errors when we click on "Create a new web applicaton" .  http://mymossserver:myport/_admin/extendvs.aspx

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.   at Microsoft.SharePoint.ApplicationPages.GlobalAdminPageBase.get_DefaultContentDatabaseName()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.ApplicationPages.ExtendVirtualServerPage.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
       at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

Extend application comes up without any errors. Also, when I go to Central Admin > Operations > Default database server throws the below error

http://mymossserver:myport/_admin/defaultcontentdb.aspx
    Object reference not set to an instance of an object.   at Microsoft.SharePoint.ApplicationPages.DefaultContentDatabasePage.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
       at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Cheers,

Dilip

Sunday, September 25, 2011 11:28 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Try executing config wizard and then try creating it again.

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Monday, September 26, 2011 3:51 AM
  • Hi Rahul,

Thanks much for your reply. Since our sites are live and users are connected to it almost everytime, I guess this will require a downtime as the services maybe stopped and started , correct? Is there something we can do without restarting the services? And, also will this adversely impact on the existing sites which are running fine?

Is there anything we can do maintenance activities to Central Admin without affecting the other sites/services? Sorry, I'm little new to Sharepoint so please bear with me if these are basic questions. Thanks.

Cheers,

Dilip

Monday, September 26, 2011 4:13 AM
  • Hi Dilip,

I do agree with Rahul  and also try to do an IISRESET.

Talib Ali Khan | MCTS
    Monday, September 26, 2011 5:58 AM
  • Hi,

It is always better to do this during non business hours since it updates the database.

I hope this will help you out,

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Monday, September 26, 2011 8:01 AM