Remote domain login RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

My domain controller is Windows Server 2003 sbs. I have about 15 xp pro clients who login to the domain here in the office. For remote connection to desktop computers, we use SonicWall VPN - which works great if you have a desktop computer. However, I have several Windows 7 64-bit laptop users as well, who need access to files on the server and all the calendar etc. functionality of Outlook.

The perfect scenario would be the ability to login to the domain remotely just as if they were in the office. Is this possible? If so, what is the best, way to accomplish it?

Thanks!

Friday, November 12, 2010 2:19 PM

Answers

• There are a lot of solutions to your problem:

You can go with hardware solutions like SonicWall VPN (I'm not sure why this doesn't work for you w/ laptops).  There are other vendors out there like Cisco and Juniper.  SSL VPNs are probably a perfect fit for you.  They are much easier to configure on the client side (send your users to a web page where they log in and connect).

You can go with a software solution and set up a VPN on Windows Server, but I'm not sure the capabilities of doing this with SBS 2k3.  It would be a better bet to go with a hardware solution that's separate from you SBS for security reasons anyway. 

With the above solutions your laptop users can log on when they need access to data on your network.  You can configure the above solutions to ensure that the user gets full IP access.  If the laptop is joined to your domain this should be pretty seamless - users will be able to connect to anything they normally can connect to while in the office (if configured correctly).

The other solution is to go with a terminal server or virtual desktops.  It would still require some type of VPN, but your user's work presence would sit on/near your server.  After the user connects with the VPN they would launch an RDP or ICA connection to your server or their desktop.  The advantage here is that laptop users could not transfer sensitive data to their laptops that could be compromised.  If this is not a concern then disregard this suggestion.

http://twitter.com/toenuff
    write-host ((0..56)|%{if (($_+1)%3 -eq 0){[char][int]("116111101110117102102064103109097105108046099111109"[($_-2)..$_] -join "")}}) -separator ""
    • Marked as answer by Kevin Remde Monday, February 28, 2011 12:30 PM
    Monday, November 15, 2010 4:59 PM