none
Suddenly Can't Edit Group Policy Server 2008 Domain

Question

• Hi all,

I've had this server 2008 domain for quite a while now.  I've not had to change the group policies since probably Jan or Feb of this year.  I needed to add a new one today.  So I added a new GPO and right clicked it to select edit - the GP Management Editor appears.  I click the + next to Policies under Computer Configuration and this appears:

Administrative Templates

Encountered an error while parsing.

Expected one of the following possible element(s), <text>, <decimalTextBox>, <textBox>, <checkBox>, <comboBox>, <dropdownList>, <listBox>, but found <multiTextBox> instead.

File C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions\en-US\inetres.adml, line 4276, column 59

Clicking OK on that window brings up:

Administrative Templates

Encountered an unknown error while parsing (error = 0x87400001): -2025848831 (0x87400001)

File C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions\inetres.admx, line 10, column 41

There are some Server 2008R2 machines in the domain, but they are NOT domain controllers, they only exist for KMS purposes.  

the dates on those inetres files are 8/18/2015, Windows updates shows updates applied on 8/9/2015, 8/19/2015 (IE 9 security update only) and 9/9/2015.  I've looked through the security updates (except for the .net and IE updates) and none of them show changes to those specific files.  

Does anyone know of a way I can replace these files?  I really kinda need access to my GPO's to edit them...

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 8:54 PM

Answers

All replies

• <multiTextBox> was introduced with WS2008R2/Win7, and older OS such as WS2008/WinVista cannot interpret this.

ADMX/ADML files which are newer than WS2008/WinVista, such as the newer inetres, will cause this exact error.

You should administer GPO from a newer OS to resolve this problem. The newer OS does not need to be a domain controller, you can administer GPO from any domain-joined computer if you install/enable the GP management tools.

Most likely the recent cumulative update for IE is what dropped the newer ADMX/ADML

Don

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 9:10 PM
  • Ugh.  I just can't believe MS would do an update to ie9 that would break GPO editing on Server 2008 as it hasn't reached EOL'd yet.
    Wednesday, September 23, 2015 9:13 PM
  • I just crashed head-on into the same problem, but I got it fixed. Here is how I did it...

Go to this link and download the IE administrative templates 11.0.0. They are dated 2014-08-09. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40905

Then go to C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions. Take ownership of the .admx file. Give yourself full rights. Do the same with your .adml file.

Overwrite the existing policy files with what you downloaded and you are back in business.

Thursday, September 24, 2015 1:58 AM
  • Hi, Patrick.

Thank you very much for this solution! it really solved my problem!

Tuesday, October 06, 2015 6:07 PM
  • I know this thread is quiet old but we got the same problem.

Our DCs are 2008R2 and I just copied the new windows 10 ADMX/L files over to the SYSVOL path. When I open the GP-Editor I get the error of various ( at least 10) ADMX sources.

Is this really a compatibility issue and I have to dig into my backups to restore the POLICY folder?

Tuesday, June 06, 2017 3:21 PM
  • I know this thread is quiet old but we got the same problem.

Our DCs are 2008R2 and I just copied the new windows 10 ADMX/L files over to the SYSVOL path. When I open the GP-Editor I get the error of various ( at least 10) ADMX sources.

Is this really a compatibility issue and I have to dig into my backups to restore the POLICY folder?

You got this error?

Expected one of the following possible element(s), <text>, <decimalTextBox>, <textBox>, <checkBox>, <comboBox>, <dropdownList>, <listBox>, but found <multiTextBox> instead.

Or, you got a different error?

WS2008R2 should have no issue regarding <multiTextBox>...

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Tuesday, June 06, 2017 9:04 PM
  • exactly this error msg.

I now worked around it using RSAT on a Windows 10 client.

As I understand, the 2008 GPeditor can not interprete new formats of the new templates. No issues under Win10.

Probably a good idea to move the GPO management over to one of our newer 2012R2

• Edited by HorNet505 Wednesday, June 07, 2017 8:10 PM
    Wednesday, June 07, 2017 8:09 PM
  • exactly this error msg.

I now worked around it using RSAT on a Windows 10 client.

As I understand, the 2008 GPeditor can not interprete new formats of the new templates. No issues under Win10.

Probably a good idea to move the GPO management over to one of our newer 2012R2

WS2008R1 will throw this error. WS2008R2 works fine for us.

Yes, a more modern OS+GPMC is a better idea anyway ;)

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Wednesday, June 07, 2017 9:11 PM