Put the Shutdown Confirmation Back In! RRS feed

• Question

• I was trying to enter something into the Start button search box, and I hit return.  When it didn't seem to do anything I hit return again, then the system immediately shut down - I can only guess that because of where my mouse cursor was or because the [Shut Down] button was current it took this as a signal that I wanted to shut down the system.

Trouble is, it never gave me the opportunity to stop the shutdown.

There is NO REASON the shutdown function has to go without a confirmation.  It's a potentially data-damaging operation that needs confirmation.

How about this:  Make a "Do you really want to shut down?" confirmation dialog with a 30 second timeout for the [Yes] button.  That way if someone shuts the system down and walks away, it ultimately gets done, but for those of us who have activated the wrong control accidentally we don't lose everything.

I'm sure you can figure out how to make a dialog with a countdown timer.

-Noel
    Friday, June 26, 2009 10:46 PM

Answers

All replies

• Word my friend. A simple message "Shutting down in ... " [CANCEL] would suffice.

For the time being however the only other option is to enable "Display Shutdown Event Tracker" policy setting - which is not the same thing obviously and a bit of a pain but beats shutting down by an accident in the middle of things which you may or may not get a chance to save. Another option, is to put Lock on the button instead. A bit of a half-baked workaround but at least it does the job.
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 12:24 AM
  • Hi Noel

Please see my reply to your post in the following thread.

Shutdown button in Start Menu.. is it better than Vista?

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 4:33 AM
  • Thanks for your advice.  At least there's a way to make the default action of the button not "Shut down immediately" - that's a relief.

With many months to go before release, I find it hard to imagine there's not time to reverse the [IMO bad] decision to remove confirmation, or at least make it more difficult to accidentally activate the Shut Down button.  What is confirmation for if not to recover from mistakes?

Thanks again.

-Noel
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 3:34 PM
  • Noel, I agree with you. It was a bad decision to remove the confirmation. And the "solution" to use the group policy editor is ridiculous. There is no way that we want that to be the default behavior in our organization. And when I eventually upgrade at home, that will be one of the first things that I change. The "out of the box" Windows should prompt the user to verify that he really does want to shut the machine down. Accidently clicking once on a button should not cause a shutdown.

Friday, October 23, 2009 6:36 PM