Yellow exclamation over network connection RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

There are many posts on the Internet about this problem but in my case only Direct Access enabled laptops are affected so I thought I would ask this forum.

The "yellow exclamation" and no Internet message intermittently appear when the laptop is connected back to the corp network. i.e Sometimes when the laptop is connected to the corp net the user can get the Internet and sometimes when they connect to the corp network they cannot access the Internet.

The only fix I've found is to disable and then enable the network adapter under Network Connections. 

The laptops are HP and have Intel 82579LM Gigabit network cards.

I have installed the latest drives.

Does anyone have any ideas what to try next. I have another laptop with a Broadcomm network card and haven't see the problem.

Cheers Laurie

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 1:40 AM

Answers

• Hi Jordon

Thanks for the reply. I checked the NLS and all was well however I noticed that the problem was connected to incorrect proxy settings. When users leave the building the proxy is manually changed to off and when the enter the building they reapply the proxy settings. I found that the laptops needed a reboot after changing the registry settings for the yellow symbol to disappear. In the end I implemented a ISA WPAD solution

Cheers

Laurie

Cheers Laurie

• Marked as answer by KangaJack Monday, March 18, 2013 2:23 AM
    Monday, March 18, 2013 2:23 AM

All replies

• When a DirectAccess client computer is inside your corporate network, it MUST be able to successfully validate the NLS website. If it does not, name resolution will continue to be pumped through the DirectAccess tunnels, and since they are inside the network, those tunnels likely don't exist. Any problem with the NLS website typically results in DirectAccess client computers that are inside the corporate network having problems contacting resources.

Check into your NLS website and make sure it's working. Also make sure the certificate is valid (this is an HTTPS site) - that is the most common problem to have with NLS, the cert expiring.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 2:11 PM
  • Hi Jordon

Thanks for the reply. I checked the NLS and all was well however I noticed that the problem was connected to incorrect proxy settings. When users leave the building the proxy is manually changed to off and when the enter the building they reapply the proxy settings. I found that the laptops needed a reboot after changing the registry settings for the yellow symbol to disappear. In the end I implemented a ISA WPAD solution

Cheers

Laurie

Cheers Laurie

• Marked as answer by KangaJack Monday, March 18, 2013 2:23 AM
    Monday, March 18, 2013 2:23 AM