Vista Home Premium / Outlook 2007 / Exhange RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We have bought a Laptop PC with Vista Home Premium preinstalled.

Have installed Office 2007, but it seems like we cannot connect Outlook 2007 to the exchange server.

Earlier we used another laptop with Win XP Pro / Office 2007, logged on the domain and connected to exchange server.

Vista Home can not connect to a domain, but is it really true that we cannot connect Outlook 2007 to an Exchange server because we do not have Vista Business?

If that’s the case, can we upgrade Vista Home Premium to Vista Business? Or is that a complete new installation? We do not want to loose the other OEM programs that were preinstalled.

Friday, February 29, 2008 11:26 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You're right, the computer which installed with Vista Home Premium cannot be added to domain, that's the reason why you outlook cannot connect the Exchange server as the authentication will fail.

Unfortunately, the only supported upgrade path from Home Premium is to Ultimate edition. If you want to upgrade from home premium to Business edition, you have to perform a re-installation.

--------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, March 3, 2008 10:25 AM
  • Hi,

There is no change, you have to upgrade the computer to Business or Ultimate version.

--------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Tuesday, March 4, 2008 9:58 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You're right, the computer which installed with Vista Home Premium cannot be added to domain, that's the reason why you outlook cannot connect the Exchange server as the authentication will fail.

Unfortunately, the only supported upgrade path from Home Premium is to Ultimate edition. If you want to upgrade from home premium to Business edition, you have to perform a re-installation.

--------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Monday, March 3, 2008 10:25 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the information.

I have in the meantime found out, that they are using "Windows Small Business Server 2003".

Does that change anything ?

Does the server needs to rund SP1 or R2 ?

http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsServer2003/sbs/techinfo/planning/chartdesktop.mspx

What about "Microsoft Knowledge Base article 926505", is that for the server or Netvista laptop ?

Monday, March 3, 2008 10:38 AM
  • Hi,

There is no change, you have to upgrade the computer to Business or Ultimate version.

--------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Tuesday, March 4, 2008 9:58 AM
  •  

Thank you
    Tuesday, March 4, 2008 10:00 AM
  • Hi Eric,

Let's pretend that I'm a real newb here and don't get all the technical jargon.  I bought a pc with Vista HP installed and then upgraded my office programs with 2007 and everything works great...except for Outlook.  I keep getting authentication errors when I try to send and receive email.

Based on your comments above, are you basically saying that Outlook 2007 doesn't work with Vista Home Premium?  If so, why aren't people being warned about that BEFORE purchasing the product??   And now I have to fork out more $$$ to upgrade Vista??   

This is quite the racket Mr. Gates has got going.  Maybe I should return the PC and buy a Mac instead!!!

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 6:00 AM
  • Hi Ciridian

Outlook 2007 works fine with Vista Home Premium - IF you have a POP3 mail.

The reason we had problem, was because we needed to connect outlook to an Exchange server.

I had no problem if I only setup outlook to send/receive POP3 mail.

XP home does have the same problem - so there is nothing new in here.

However, after upgrading to Vista Ultimate, connecting to Microsoft Small Business server (Exchange server), I can not send mail through SMTP ?

I have googled for a solution, found out that other have the same problem, but until now not found a solution ? other than using windows mail

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 6:09 AM
  • this hits everything, Tablet HP TX2000 has standard Home Premium, upgrading to business of ultimate is not supported by HP. If I am correct a tablet is a business system. Reading that Home is not supported to connect to exchange server, here we go again the software developer/owner blames the hardware manufacturer and visa versa.... who pays the bill? The consumer.

Isn`t there a workaround that all these users in the world can continue to work with there hardware? 

Thanks

Friday, April 11, 2008 8:48 PM
  • At least now your know how a monopoly keeps itself at the top, did Toshiba tell you that Vista Home Premium wasnt compatible with Domain networks?  I just bought a Toshiba notebook on the weekend and the sales girl told me that it did connect fine, she lied or simply didnt know.

But its gets better, you cant upgrade except to ultimate! Microsoft dont have a solution for us to go to business, except to go and buy the retail version of business, but they dont want that really, its cheaper to buy ultimate upgrade online driect from MS and pay them 100% of the profit and cut out the middle man entirely.  Now thats a kick in the guts I got to tell ya.

Its not even a conspiracy, you look at how the product is structured in other avenues. 

If you buy 32bit Vista there is a program to let you update to 64bit Vista, but only if you pay for full retail, if you happen to buy OEM and your OEM only installs Vista 32 then you have to go buy a retail version of Vista 64, you cant even upgrade.

So pre-installed seems to be now only for home users and suckers like us mate, unless we are happy to keep forking out for software we have theoretically ALREADY PAID for, and expect to work.....

And they wonder why the Pirates are finding so many people wanting to simply get it all for free!  When you do the right thing you still seem to be getting screwed, I know Vista sales are less than expected but theres got to be a more ethical way of making a $.

Monday, May 5, 2008 12:26 PM
  • Hey Guy,

I have a solution for you .

I have received query regarding to this issues as well.

Kindly create your own Mail Profile by putting your exchange server path.,

This will allowed you and your outlook connected to Exchange Server.

KIndly take the advise because of Autodiscovery failed in action due not the limitation of Not able to join Domain.

I am not sure in term of support whether Outlook 2007 & Vista Home Premium.

Yet this is the workaroud to those who look for quick solution  .

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 5:11 AM
  •  

Is there a way to fix this online??
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 10:40 PM
  •  

Sure...

if you know what is your FE server name, just input that.

If you cant ... i am afraid you have to back in office and do your configuration ...

personally i am resolving it using another outlook to trace my FE server , and use it to key in my Vista Home Premium Machine.

Hope this will able to help you .

Friday, December 5, 2008 1:27 AM
  • I foujd a way around this.  I created a POP3 account as the default mail account which allowed Outlook to set up the offline folders on the Vista Home Premium machine, and I then created an Exchange mail account, and it all works fine.

Hope this might help someone.

Sunday, January 22, 2012 9:48 AM