none
AD2008R2/Exchange 2010 to AD2012R2 with ADMT RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I’m currently working on a migration project quite some classic: Source is a mono-forest mono-domain Active Directory 2008R2 with Exchange Server 2010. Target is a mono-forest mono-domain Active Directory 2012R2. For now, I’m doing a POC on a duplicated infrastructure. I built the target forest and added a member server with ADMT. The PES Server is up and running. I disabled the sID Filtering option and enabled the sID History option. I’m able to migrate my users from the source to the target. They keep their password and they are able to get access to their resources (shares, files, etc.). However, even if they are able to open Outlook and access to their mailbox, calendar, etc. they are unable to send an email (to themselves or to outside). The NDR details are related to a send as permission not granted. I used Add-ADPermission "usermailbox" -User "TARGET\migrateduser " -Extendedrights "Send As" but it does not work. In the same time, I’ve seen that calendar availability is not working: users cannot see the free/busy details…

On previous migration projects, I used to migrate to a new Exchange Server version and used cross forest scripts to create disabled contacts, etc. But in this project, I should not change the email system for now (the customer is waiting 2017 to begin a O365 migration).

I also know that ADMT is skipping some attributes like proxyaddresses, mail, etc. Should be a situation when I will need to migrate to O365…

That’s why I ask you migration gurus! What is the best option to achieve this migration? Do I have to build a new Exchange 2010 organization and achieve a cross-forest migration? Is there a simplest solution?

Thank you in advance!

X
    Wednesday, October 5, 2016 1:40 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Based on your description, I know that you want to split Exchange forest and move AD account to other forest, it's similar link resource forest and account forest. Figure as below:
    If I mislead your concern, please feel free to let me know.

Please ensure that(as the figure above shows):
    1. User account placed in Forest A.
    2. Disabled user account in Forest B, and linked mailbox is associate with user account in Forest A.

Therefore, the user in Forest B need to be disabled and mailbox convert to linked mailbox if migrate AD account from Forest B to Forest A.
    For your question, you can refer to below link to covert a mailbox to a linked mailbox for testing:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb201694.aspx

Moreover, you can directly configure hybrid environment with Exchange 2010 and Office 365, then migrate mailbox to Office 365. For your reference:
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/canitpro/2013/11/19/step-by-step-migrating-from-exchange-2007-to-office-365/

Allen Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 6, 2016 3:48 AM
  • Hi Allen,

many thanks for you reply. In fact, users are not disabled on Forest B (I can configure ADMT to disable the accounts during the migration). However, mailboxes are not currently "linked" to an account on the Forest A. Maybe it's the solution but I'm not familiar with this kind of configuration. A important thing is that the forest B should be deleted. No need to keep an Exchange dedicated forest. This is why I think I should prepare the customer for a cross forest migration (AD+Exchange) then remove the source forest when all the resources will be moved to the new forest.

Do you agree ?

Thank you Allen!

Thursday, October 6, 2016 7:04 AM
  • Hi,

If you want to remove regional forest, I recommend install Exchange server in new forest, then using PrepareMoveRequest.ps1 and ADMT to deploy cross-forest.
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/exchange/2010/08/10/exchange-2010-cross-forest-mailbox-moves/

Allen Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Thierry FRA Thursday, October 6, 2016 10:25 AM
    Thursday, October 6, 2016 9:50 AM
  • Agreed! Thank you!
    Thursday, October 6, 2016 10:25 AM