Client file path length in App-V 5.0 RRS feed

• Question

• "C:\ProgramData\App-V\53C8B503-1A7B-4CE5-BCBE-D62C1D0962D1\F202D56D-E6AD-4088-8F73-5D7B323E1084\Root\VFS\ProgramFilesX86\"

So what happens when an app requests a file path that's too long?

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 1:43 PM

All replies

• Could you explain the issue in more detail? Are you experiencing an issue with an application requesting a path that's too long?

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 1:53 PM
  • I've seen several applications that had too long file paths (meaning the files couldn't be copied over by sequencer) even in Q: disk / 8.3 asset directory naming. Haven't gotten my hands on them, yet.

Do you know how does the new client handle that?

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 2:02 PM
  • Hello,

The App-V Client has the same limitations as the Windows Operating system has.

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 5:17 PM
  • Znack, logical question comes out from that - did they just break functionality of apps that have lengthy sub folders?
    Thursday, December 20, 2012 8:18 AM
  • Hello,

Let me know if you finding any case where it happens - so far I haven't seen it.

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Thursday, December 20, 2012 8:25 AM