none
MMC crash on Modifying Protection Group RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am running SCDPM 2012 with RU2 on Windows 2012 Server. I have the following problem. If I try to modify a protection group using MMC, MMC crashes with exception. The Windows event log contains the error (attached below).

Please advise.

Best regards,

Petko Stoyanov

I-Gram

>>> Event Log Info

The description for Event ID 999 from source MSDPM cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

An unexpected error caused a failure for process 'mmc'.  Restart the DPM process 'mmc'.

Problem Details:

<FatalServiceError><__System><ID>19</ID><Seq>0</Seq><TimeCreated>9/6/2012 9:59:07 PM</TimeCreated><Source>DpmThreadPool.cs</Source><Line>163</Line><HasError>True</HasError></__System><ExceptionType>CmdletInvocationException</ExceptionType><ExceptionMessage>Input string was not in a correct format.</ExceptionMessage><ExceptionDetails>System.Management.Automation.CmdletInvocationException: Input string was not in a correct format. ---&gt; System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.

at System.Number.StringToNumber(String str, NumberStyles options, NumberBuffer&amp; number, NumberFormatInfo info, Boolean parseDecimal)

at System.Number.ParseInt32(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info)

at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Scheduler.MonthlyRecurrence.GetMonthDaysList(String[] monthdays)

at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Scheduler.MonthlyRecurrence..ctor(MonthlyRecurrenceType monthlyRecurrence)

at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Scheduler.Recurrence..ctor(RecurrenceType recurrence)

at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ObjectModel.OMCommon.IntentSchedule.GetDateScheduleClone(RecurrenceType clone)

at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ObjectModel.OMCommon.IntentSchedule.Clone()

at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ObjectModel.OMCommon.Schedule.Clone()

at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ObjectModel.OMCommon.ProtectionGroup.Clone()

at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.Cmdlet.ProtectionCmdLets.ModifyProtectionGroup.CallBack(Object[] paramsList)

at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.Cmdlet.ProtectionCmdLets.ModifyProtectionGroup.DoProcessing()

at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.Cmdlet.Utils.DpmCmdletBase.ProcessRecord()

at System.Management.Automation.CommandProcessor.ProcessRecord()

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at System.Management.Automation.Runspaces.PipelineBase.Invoke(IEnumerable input)

at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.UICommon.ParameterizedCmdLetWrapper`1.Invoke()

at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.UICommon.GetProtectionGroupClone.Execute()

at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.Dpw.DataProtectionWizard.RunWizard(IWin32Window owner, DpmServer server, ProtectionGroup group, WizardMode mode, Datasource[] translateDSList)

at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ProtectionTaskEditGroup.OnTaskClick(Object e, EventArgs arg)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message&amp; m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message&amp; m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message&amp; m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message&amp; m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)</ExceptionDetails></FatalServiceError>

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

Thursday, September 6, 2012 10:10 PM

All replies

• Hi,

after some additional investigations, I realize that DPM crashes even on attempt to $pg.Clone() a protection group from PowerShell.

As long as Longterm protection is not configured, I can modify the protection group.

Are there incompatibilities with .NET 4.5?

Regards,

Petko Stoyanov

Friday, September 7, 2012 8:34 AM
  • Did you find a solution to this?

I did a fresh install of server 2012 + DPM 2012 and I have the same problem. I've tried reinstalling, but the error is still there. I'm also using longterm protection to tape.

Monday, October 22, 2012 8:07 AM
  • I bypassed this problem by installing the remote administrative tools on a win7 machine
    did you resolve this issue on the server

kristinn tyr gunnarsson

Monday, October 22, 2012 9:40 PM
  • That sounds like a good idea.

I ended up going back to my old DPM 2010 server which was doing the job quite ok.

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 2:02 PM
  • I've got the same problem, reading online SP1 seems to fix this problem but SP1 is only in Beta at the moment.

Lee

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 5:01 PM