Media Player 11 plays mp3 but not WMA files. RRS feed

• Question

• I recently did a CHKDSK scan of my hard disk.  It found about 72 bad blocks with data in them.  Since then my Media Play won't play WMA files.  It plays mp3's just fine.  It won'y even play the WMA files that came with the system like GOODBYE.WMA.  The error message reads:

Windows Media Player encountered a problem playing the file.  For additional assistance click Web Help.

When I do that the only info I get is:  Error number C00D11B1

My updates are alright, the sound device shows no problems, besides it plays MP3's.  Under Technical details it says:

Original Error Code:  800700CB     error message not available

I've check the Event Viewer Application log and there is nothing there.  I think one of the files needed to runs Media Player is corrupted.  Is there a way I can reinstall it?  My version of Vista is an OEM version for the Toshiba L205D Sattelite Notebook.  Unfortunately the only disks that came with the system are restore disks that will wipe the system in order to reinstall anything.  Surely there is a way that will fix this problem that I don't have to do that?

I do not have a Restore Point from when it worked so I am up a creek right now.  Oh yeah one more bit of info, VLC, a third party app used to play these files too but now it can't.  Also AVS 4You Audio converter, a third party app can't open the files either.  This is something system wide that is wrong.

Is there a logging mechanism I can enable to pinpoint the DLL or process that is failing?  Will you supply a copy of the needed file once it is found?  Please respond ASAP.  Thank you very much.
    Monday, April 13, 2009 6:03 PM