none
why my database taking too much time in backup process? RRS feed

• Question

• I take full database backup, it has 100 GB data and its taking more than 6 Hr (50% completed) but still its going on. please tel me why its take this much time. i con't understood what is the reason?
    Friday, February 12, 2016 5:28 AM

Answers

All replies

• Do you backup to local or remote drive? 

Best Regards,Uri Dimant SQL Server MVP, http://sqlblog.com/blogs/uri_dimant/

MS SQL optimization: MS SQL Development and Optimization
    MS SQL Consulting: Large scale of database and data cleansing
    Remote DBA Services: Improves MS SQL Database Performance
    SQL Server Integration Services: Business Intelligence

Friday, February 12, 2016 6:40 AM
  • I take full database backup, it has 100 GB data and its taking more than 6 Hr (50% completed) but still its going on. please tel me why its take this much time. i con't understood what is the reason?

There can be many reasons. The drive on which you are backing it up is slow or has reached I/O saturation.

If you are backing it on shared drive it can be extremely slow as well

what is your case ?

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My Wiki Articles

MVP

Friday, February 12, 2016 9:49 AM
  • What is the OS Version of the Server and the destination of the Backup?  What is the version of SQL Server?

These are just a few performance hits from an OS perspective: -

• If the operating system is Windows Server 2000 or 2003
    • If you're backing up to a single spindle volume that is heavily fragmented
    • If you're backing up to a RAID 1+0
    • If you're backing up to a Network Drive and the switches are slow
    • If AV is set to scan SQL Server files

Please click "Mark As Answer" if my post helped. Tony C.

Friday, February 12, 2016 10:03 AM
  • Hi,

Can you give us the Backup information from the errorlog file when the backup is finished? 

Exemple: BACKUP DATABASE successfully processed xxx pages in xxxx seconds (xxx MB/sec). 

Thanks,

Regards,

Stéphane

Best regards, Mit freundlichen Grüssen, Avec mes meilleures salutations, Stéphane Haby

Friday, February 12, 2016 11:07 AM
  • Good day,

Please check this blog and post here the questions that you have there. I will try to add some more information when I will have more time, in order to make it more of "full article" regarding the issue, since this question raise a lot of times in the forums.

I hope this useful :-)

http://ariely.info/Blog/tabid/83/EntryId/172/SQL-Server-full-database-backup-is-slow.aspx

signature   Ronen Ariely
     [Personal Site]    [Blog]    [Facebook]    [Linkedin]

• Marked as answer by Jason_Clark03 Monday, February 22, 2016 6:01 AM
    Friday, February 12, 2016 1:22 PM