none
MSP Standard 2007 Resource Pool Problems RRS feed

• Question

• For my company I manage the resource pool at our development center. This pool is used for scheduling and I often have problems such as file corruption, long load and save times, project bloating, and resource pool not updating...<o:p></o:p>

Has anyone experienced the same type of problems?<o:p></o:p>

I am trying to compile evidence of these problems for a report I am constructing but have had little luck... <o:p></o:p>

Any input you can provide would be greatly appreciated... And thanks in advance!<o:p></o:p>

Thursday, October 25, 2012 5:13 PM

All replies

• Angela,

When constructing and using a resource pool, my best advice is to ensure the sharer files are disconnected from the resource pool once the resource assignments are made.  Each of the symptoms you describe are well known side-effects from creating what I have dubbed the "poor-man's Project Server."  This is one of the primary reasons Project Server was created.  Once you get above 10 - 15 projects (depending on size) then issues start to show up.

The only mitigation strategy (reduction - not complete removal of the issues) I have had success with is to have each of the sharer files "disconnected" from the resource pool after assignments have been made.  I realize this causes a reduction in assignment visibility in the resource pool, but it also reduces the possibility of most of the symptoms you describe.

You can create a master file (sometimes called a consolidated file) of all projects to see assignments across the entire organization after disconnecting from the pool.

Hope this helps.

Gregg D. Richie, PMP, MCTS; Author, Microsoft Project 2010, Microsoft Official Academic Course Series

Thursday, October 25, 2012 5:26 PM
  • Hi,

Well yes, I've seen all of this with some customers.

The remedy that nearly alway works is the following

Open the pool read/write (without opening the sharer files)

Resource ribbon, Resource Pool, Share resources.

The list of sharer files you see might well contain lots of unwanted files (old versons, local copies..)

select those in turn and click break link.

After that your pool will react "as new".

Greetings,

Thursday, October 25, 2012 5:52 PM
  • Essential to make sure all users of Project 2007 are on SP3.

If connected to a resource pool or a master file, make sure users never, ever rename their files, move them or over-write with a copy from a laptop say without first disconnecting from the Pool and making sure the pool and project are BOTH saved. If they do, the file corruption dice get rolled.

The pool should be on a network disk locally (IE same building). Anything further away can also lead to file corruptions. Anyone physically outside your building should only connect temporarily, then disconnect as Jan suggests.

To disconnect teh pool needs to be open in read-write mode and BOTH files saved afterwards.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

Thursday, October 25, 2012 8:59 PM
  • Thanks for the feedback guys... I am glad that these are common problems when using Standard MSP as a pool as I expected... I hope to move to project server ASAP!
    Wednesday, October 31, 2012 5:15 PM
  • You are welcome and thanks for your feedback.  Please mark this post as answered if we have done so.

Regards,

Gregg D. Richie, PMP, MCTS; Author, Microsoft Project 2010, Microsoft Official Academic Course Series

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 6:46 PM