“Turn off the upgrade to the latest version of Windows through Windows Update” for Windows Server 2016, Essentials RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All 

I work in a company that provides servers as accessory equipment to our main product. We are currently in the process of changing the OS from Windows Server 2012, Foundation to Windows Server 2016, Essentials.

In 2012, foundation we configure a group policy for windows updates:

“Turn off the upgrade to the latest version of Windows through Windows Update” is set to enabled.

However I cannot find this option for Windows Server 2016, Essentials.

Does anyone know where to find this feature or a similar feature, so that Windows Server 2016, Essentials is being patched, but the OS is never updated to the latest version of Windows?

Monday, June 11, 2018 11:36 AM

Answers

• Difficult to say for sure. Still do not know what current operating system is or what OS upgrade needs to be blocked. If server 2016 you can read about the servicing model here.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/get-started/windows-server-release-info

This one may also help.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Monday, June 11, 2018 1:54 PM

All replies

• What OS upgrade are you attempting to block?

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Monday, June 11, 2018 12:17 PM
  • I am only attempting to block updates that causes the entire OS to be updated to a new version. Like when Microsoft pushed windows updates causing Window 7 to be upgraded to windows 10...

So basically, exactly what “Turn off the upgrade to the latest version of Windows through Windows Update” did in Server 2012, foundation.

Monday, June 11, 2018 12:26 PM
  • Server OS would not be upgraded like that. Are you blocking a desktop OS? If so what operating system?

Monday, June 11, 2018 1:19 PM
  • Hmm... We use this setting in Windows Server 2012, Foundation.

But judging on your last comment, this setting may be redundant, and the reason why it is not included in Windows Server 2016...?

Monday, June 11, 2018 1:51 PM
  • Difficult to say for sure. Still do not know what current operating system is or what OS upgrade needs to be blocked. If server 2016 you can read about the servicing model here.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/get-started/windows-server-release-info

This one may also help.

Monday, June 11, 2018 1:54 PM
  • Hi Dave

I am sorry if i did not explain the issue good enough. I however have the answers that I need. Thank you for your assistance. Highly appreciated.

Regards, Anders

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 8:42 AM
  • Sounds good, you're welcome.

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 12:38 PM